Kickstand Options, Center vs Rear... What Do You Prefer and Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

I need a new kickstand. Mine failed. It was a center stand and I really liked it. The height was perfect and it just worked... until it broke. Seemed to be a cheap alloy.

I'll probably grab one locally shown at these links for Senoia Bicycle or Trek. I do really prefer a rubber foot on the bottom. It just seems like without that the stand is pointy and could sink into softer ground.

I was taking a photo to show my bike and the flash was on... it's nice to know people can see me! :biggrin:

Suggestions?

20220117_123706.jpg

20220117_124013.jpg

strada-expx4-mttig-21-01-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need a kick stand? I’ve not had one on a bike for at least 10 years (and have been through a lot of bikes in that time :laugh:)

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Because I don't always have a place to lean it and I don't like just laying it down... but if you do that's great, for you.

Useful for trailers and children.
The dedicated braze-on at rear end of chsinstay is a good location. Hebie and Pletscher are the good brands

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

It's really amazing that there are so many people here with the power of clairvoyance that can see everywhere I ride and that there are places to lean my bike along those places... as well as knowing what I and others do and do not need... that's really amazing.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I got one from @biggs682 It's handy when you're in the middle of nowhere and see some interesting wildlife or want to peer over a hedge to look at a ruined castle. It's not always easy to find something to lean the bike against without shoving it into a hedge or wading through a patch of nettles.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I swear, you could ask people for advice on handlebar on here and a bunch will say they don't need it :laugh:

If you want a kickstand - get one. Centrally-mounted are (in my opinion) better. Other than that, make sure it's adjustable and pay attention to the size of the foot depending on where you think you're going to park it. If I ever needed one - would probably go to the LBS and pick up whatever they have.

You can also go to the local household waste recycling centre (or whatever its called) and see what they have - people often throw out bikes with the kickstands still on. Just don't tell the elitist bunch ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom