Kickstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
I can't see why you'd want a stand on a tourer. You have tons of gubbins to carry anyway so why add to it? Unless you are in the middle of the Atacama desert you'll always find a tree, wall or lamp post to plonk the thing against, after all.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
battered said:
I can't see why you'd want a stand on a tourer. You have tons of gubbins to carry anyway so why add to it? Unless you are in the middle of the Atacama desert you'll always find a tree, wall or lamp post to plonk the thing against, after all.

I'd be thinking exactly the same thing... if I didn't have a stand on the SMGTe. Now that I'm accustomed to having it, riding a bike without one is like having a car without a handbrake. ;)

Not that I can bring myself to ruin the clean lines of the Furai with some ghastly undercarriage contraption, but if I were touring I absolutely would bite the bullet. Checking maps, rummaging through packs, dashing off for a nature break, etc... All very much easier if the loaded bike isn't trying to throw itself onto the ground.

rich p said:
Nope!

I'd never risk a fully loaded tourer on a kickstand personally. Walls, fences gateposts, laying gently down etc is my preferred method.

+1

I have one of the cheapest of the cheap sidestands on my tourer simply because it is only for convenience on my commute - getting the bike out of the shed and standing it up while I lock the shed up - and standing it up rather than leaning it onto, the awkward Tesco stands.

If used when loaded it just topples straightaway (i.e. it's obvious before letting go if it is going to topple and also it's such cheap alloy that it would bend or break rather than damage the frame

Brains

Legendary Member
I can't see why you would NOT want a stand on a tourer, as far as I'm concerned it's an essential bit of kit.

I tour with several frends on a regular basis, one does not have a stand, and it's always causing a problem.

That said it has to be the right sort of stand, there are only two types that work for loaded touring bikes, the central double legged version, like a motorbike stand, they seem to be good, are stable, but I'd guess heavy. The other type is the kick stand that fits to the rear triangle, they are light, solid and the bike will not fall over even if fitted with a weeks camping gear.

What you need to watch is:
1 - Don't fit a 'conventional' kick stand, the type that fit forward of the rear wheel near the pedals, this will not hold up a loaded tour bike (they also stop the pedals going around, so you can not move the bike backwards)
2 - If you load up the front of the bike with panniers and/or a handlebar bag then you either need to get into the habit of parking the wheel at right angles, or you need a method of keeping the front wheel stable, as has been pointed out above Mark Beaumont (and most German tourers) have a mini front wheel kick stand, the other solutions are a very small bungee or bit of an old innertube, or a strip of velcro looped around the front wheel and the downtue tokeep the wheel straight.

It's all lot less hassle than it sounds, and makes you life a whole lot easier when you want that quick photo and you can just stop your bike where you want

Personally I am unable to understand why kickstands are not fitted to every touring bike as standard, lets face it, they get far more use than say the pump or the lights.

winterwonderer

Über Member
Hi all, I really fancy having a propstand on the bike for an upcoming tour and after reading some of the suggestions I took to the idea of the d.i.y. 'clickstand' using a rod rest. Then I came across and bought, a Leki lightweight walking pole at a bootsale for £2 that I thought might do the job. I attach the pole handle to the frame at the point the clickstand uses by forming a loop with the strap and a carabiner and it seems to work o.k. I havent tried it withe bike fully loaded yet and I was wondering if anyone can see any problems with the idea before I actually finally make my mind up.

winterwonderer

Über Member
I didnt think they still made skyhooks. My dad sent me out for some many years ago and the man in the shop said he just couldnt get his hands on them anymore^_^
I am getting the impression that traditional kickstands are a bit dodgy when propping up a loaded bike and the 'clickstand' has had some good reviews. I also liked the idea of no bracket cutting into the bike. The plan is that the pole will sit under a bungee on the back pannier or having some sort of velcro strap arrangement for a quick withdrawal( ooo-er) so actually riding round with it doesnt bother me that much and also it is probably lighter than a proper stand. I am not too worried about faff as faffing is in my nature and I will probably only use it if there is nothing to lean the bike against anyway. I am sorry about this..... but I find myself leaning towards this pole idea.

Nope!

I'd never risk a fully loaded tourer on a kickstand personally. Walls, fences gateposts, laying gently down etc is my preferred method.

I would just like to add on Rich's behalf its "Pub" walls, fences and gatepost's .. and laying gently down in the beer garden although he might mean himself on the laying down bit ?

As long as I park the bike with a bit of common sense I find my Hebie Bipod 605 NL works a treat for me. It has come in handy when needing to do a bit of chain maintenance; day to day when loading and unloading the bike and well not having to stuff around finding somewhere to lean the bike when I want to get off and do something.

IMG_0727.JPG

Regards
Andrew

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't see a convenient way of stowing/unstowing your diy 'clickstand' when you need to. With touring bike frames already fairly cluttered with panniers, bottles etc.etc. I don't know where or how you would attach additional equipment when on the move.
You would need some sort of handbrake for use when the bike is on the stand, otherwise it is likely to move and fall over if parked on sloping ground or in windy weather.
I have never had a stand on a touring bike and have never felt the need for one except on a tour in Iceland where there is a distinct lack of roadside fences, dykes or rock faces to lean the bike against.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Some like them and some don`t, it is a totally personal thing which we do not need to agree on.

I have seen some dutch bikes with the double leg kickstand but with broad flat feet on them. They seem as solid as a rock but they also look quite heavy. Hebie Bipod stand. Someone else has posted it.

http://www.aushiker.com/hebie-bipod-stand-605-nl-bicycle-kickstand-owner-review/

I like a kickstand on mine as I often use the seat or bag as a camera stand for taking photos when I cannot be bothered to get the tripod off the back.

Steve

winterwonderer

Über Member
Really like the look of the Hebie and I like the fact that it is it does allow you to do some maintenance on the bike. This is my first tour ( 1000 miles+ in May), I am trying to be as weight conscious as I can and I was wondering if carrying the heavier stand outweighs the disadvantages. Also, the cost factor comes into it for me now, I will be camping when away and the gear just seems to be adding up and I feel as if I need to put the brakes on a little bit. The Hebie is about £40 and the walking pole cost me £2 from a boot sale, it is very light and I will stow it under the bungees that are holding the tent on the rear rack. I have seen on another forum a clickstand from America which is supplied with a couple of elastic bands for the levers to keep the brakes on and I am sure I can come up with something that will do the same thing. More faff! So, it boils down to cost plus weight versus faff plus more money to go towards a good pair of waterproof trousers. I am going to stop now, my head is beginning to hurt.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I have a Pletscher Kickstand on my hybrid. It came with the bike and I have got used to it now. It's rock steady, though not sure I'd trust it on a really heavily laden bike (as one did snap on me once). Generally though it's pretty good and has probably saved a lot of scratches on the bike from propping up against fences/ walls etc. Helps me do the odd bit of maintenance more easily too. Agree with Snorri though- not a priority and I managed fine for 20 years or so without one.

Top Bottom