Kickstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Some like them and some don`t, it is a totally personal thing which we do not need to agree on.

I have seen some dutch bikes with the double leg kickstand but with broad flat feet on them. They seem as solid as a rock but they also look quite heavy. Hebie Bipod stand. Someone else has posted it.
Steve

It's another one of those things...Obviously you can always find something near to prop it against, but I really like just being able to hop off, quick swipe of the foot, job done. I've been using one of the Hebie stands that fits in the rear triangle. I only saw them available from a German retailer, so ordered 2 while I was at it, but the first one is still going strong after 4-5 years.

Here's my fully loaded rig resting on a single leg propstand.

bike-and-panniers.jpg

It's a Pletscher single leg stand that costs about £18.00 and fits to the rear triangle. The extra weight in the context of a loaded touring bike is insignificant IMO. Mine came with the bike and I wouldn't be with out it. Very useful. Just make sure it is on level ground or the prop leg is slightly lower when in use. Never had any probs myself. Just common sense stuff.

Attachments

• bike-and-panniers.jpg
    bike-and-panniers.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 28

winterwonderer

Über Member
Thanks for the input everyone and the great pics, looks like I have some serious decision making to do! I read on another touring cyclists post that on his first tour he laid out all the gear that he definitely couldnt leave home without, he then weighed it all , and once he got over the shock he then went about discarding the bits he felt that if he really, really needed them - well, he could always buy them. So, I think I am going to have to prioritise with those thoughts in mind, and weight seems to becoming more of an issue now as I have just bought a silver standard lock and it is about as heavy as a small dumbell. The 40 miles a day target is getting smaller everytime I buy something. If I accumulate much more I may as well not go but just come back:smile:

winterwonderer

Über Member
Great photo Steve. I hope you weren't too badly hurt when you crashed into that sign, you must have been going a hell of a speed to do that much damage to the bike. Did you ever get it back into a normal bicycle shape:bicycle:^_^
I must admit ,Steve, that recumbent looks a really tempting option, but its a bit late for me to change my set up now. Just out of curiosity, are they any more tiring than a touring bike?

Top Bottom