Kiddie trailer & quick release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi
I’m looking to buy a double trailer to tow the kids around in. I’m looking on eBay and wanted to check here first re how they fit. It looks like a lot of the trailers are designed to fit through a bolt into the frame but the bikes I’ll be using all have quick release skewers. This may sound like a very basic question but would these still fit with the QR skewer? My assumption (and I’ve made these before which turn out to be wrong) is :

quixk release out
Trailer connector into position
Quick release back in

any previous experience would be very helpful. I can grab photos from eBay if my description makes no sense

thanks
Dan

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep. Thats how my trailer fitted. You should have no problems with it. I never did.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
in this image you can just about see the attachment. The trailer also had a belt which attached to the frame as a fail safe.
Henry Trailer 2.jpg

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Have a little look to see if your drop out where you plan to connect the trailer to has a lip around it, mine does.
No big disaster though you can just get a little adaptor to hold the trailer hitch a little further from the frame to stop it fouling it, you might need a longer qr skewer for it, but again, no big deal! I think SJS stock them all.

Tom B

Guru
I have to he trailer pictured above.

The chap I bought it off said it sometimes came loose on a QR. I have never had an issue but do mainly use it with security qr skewer.

I have had it on my hybrid, FS MTB (which upset Halfords) and hire hardtail. On the hire bike I had to add some washers on the hire bike due to a lump on the drop out.

I generally leave the tow bar link on the bike without issue. My problem is loosing the damn lock pins while stored.

OP
OP
Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've not yet purchased one, we are heading down to the New Forest in a week and a bit time where we are going to test one out down there. Knowing my luck within 5 minutes of sitting in it they'll both want to get out!

Top Bottom