Kids and bikes for Christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
On my ride yesterday, I saw several young kids on new bikes, which were obviously Christmas presents. It gave me a warm feeling inside and put a smile on my face to see youngsters enjoying their bikes, and took me back to my youth. The feeling was tarnished somewhat when I stopped to talk to one lad and saw his shiney new steed. It was the ubiquitous catalogue BSO double bouncer. He seemed happy with it though. I had a sinking feeling though that before next Christmas it would be a rusty mess laid ouside waiting for landfill. It is a shame that parents do not take some better advice and buy something better and maybe it could start the love of a lifetime and get more youngsters cycling.

Slick

Guru
Ach, we all started with a BSO back in the day, can't be all calnago di2 when starting out. Let him enjoy his Christmas present before you have it in landfill. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ach, we all started with a BSO back in the day, can't be all calnago di2 when starting out. Let him enjoy his Christmas present before you have it in landfill. :okay:

indeed min ck1 had a bso full suss that was loved even though it weighed a ton , i got hold of a giant hardtail that was half the weight but it was always left in the sidelines

Not quite bikes, but incredibly cute....
Xmas morning, whilst taking the dog for a walk, there were two young kids, aged about 4 or so I guess, must have been twins, riding electric powered " motorbikes" complete with stabilisers.
Both boys on matching Ducati red toy bikes, both with matching bright yellow anoraks with the hoods pulled up around their faces. One parent walking behind each, ready to grab the handlebars when they began to steer off the kerb. Which they did about every 10 yards.....

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Seems to be a shortage of "Christmas bikes" here, this year. Saw two young girls (about 9 I would guess), riding their new bikes yesterday morning.

In the cul-de-sac where we live, there is only one young family (three children, age 3, 7, 9). They all got scooters this year (not electric), and, were whizzing up and down the street on Christmas Day (parents too). Great to see.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There were quite a few kids out on their Christmas bikes.
I don't think it matters what the quality of the bike is at a young age, as long as the kids enjoy them, they will get crashed and bashed up and they grow out of them quickly, then hopefully the next bike will be better. As long as the kids get the bug, that's good.

Top Bottom