Kids and Technology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My 5YO daughter has a tablet computer. She uses it for watching CBeebies, playing games, and kids videos on Netflix. We limit her to an hour a day on it, but it's frightening how good she is at using it.

Anyway, she's found then sat nav app and has been playing with it. Not quite fully understanding how to use it she's somehow selected a destination and is trying to follow the directions by turning left and right around the house. Funny as F watching her trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My kids have been using PC's, tablets and phones for a few years now, my 11 year old son makes gaming videos with voiceovers and music and uploads to Youtube (private channel). My daughter who is 14 can draw amazing stuff with a wacom tablet on a PC and publishes her work daily on instagram. I see them being tech savvy as necessary in this information age. The flipside is, is that my son's reading (comprehension) is slipping so we need to get the balance right.

Tin Pot

Guru
"Get off the farking iPhone" has become a household greeting like "Good morning" or "Hello", sometimes the two are combined, such as "Hello, get off the farking iPhone.", or "Good morning, get off the farking iPhone". Personally I prefer to start my conversation with "Get off the farking iPhone" so that there's a chance the target will hear and respond to the rest of the conversation.

Lovely kids really, it's the dad I blame.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm glad my son grew up loving books before computers took over; he read the entire set of Lemony Snicket and a couple of other sets before he lost interest.

I actually think that kids' brains develop along different lines now thanks to computer chips and we oldies don't see it. It would make a great project for a psychology student.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^that's why we ration her to an hour a day. She's a full year ahead in her reading, and has to into the class above for new reading books, which she's quite proud of.

classic33

Leg End Member
What happens when there's a power cut though? The technology becomes useless.

classic33

Leg End Member
^^^that's why we ration her to an hour a day. She's a full year ahead in her reading, and has to into the class above for new reading books, which she's quite proud of.
Reading books, including electronic, seems to be going out of fashion these days. A bit old fashioned as it were.

I did better when they stopped trying to get rid of the accent, and the choice of books became greater at school.

Now it's easier sit them down in front of a TV screen and let them work on that. Pre-school as well, look at V-Tech and all the others aimed at 18 months plus.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Even if I wanted to I wouldn't get away with the hold electronic baby sitter. The Missus trained as a teacher, her Brother is a teacher, her Mum was a teacher... if I tried that I'd get detention.

Top Bottom