Kids Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

He uses wet wrap mittens and also leggings etc when at home, skin sore in alot of places but his hands are so,so much worse. I will email some companies though and see what they say, certainly can't do any harm like you say!

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I will email some companies though and see what they say, certainly can't do any harm like you say!

You might even get some freebies!!
I emailed about a dozen when #2 was small asking advice on certain things/products..All I wanted was general advice, was it suitable, was size, etc... All but one sent me free samples & vouchers ofr discounts if I purchased more!

fimm

Veteran
I have very mild excema now. It was worse when I was younger, although I didn't get it till I was about 10 - 11 I think. I've always been glad that I didn't have it when I was very small, as that must be really tough on parent and child alike. I find that getting cold and wet doesn't help my hands (I always seem to be worse in winter). The other thing is that I seem to react to my own sweat! If you do find some gloves that suit him you might find you have to have 2 - 3 pairs and keep washing them.

I'm also not a parent and so won't offer any advice on the parenting aspect.

chewy

Just to add that i've started to take my 9 year old daughter out on the road and have found her to be keen to do it and be 'grown up'.

Normally listening or thinking things through are not her thing, but just me and her out together she has shown the opposite and i'm confident she will do well in the future.

Seeing as yours already wants to do more and more you shouldn't need to worry too much!

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

That's great to hear Chewy, your DD must be feeling very grown up and proud of herself :biggrin: Took him to some culd-de-sacs again and partly on the high street through our village and he is spot on with it all and he had soo many parked cars to get round! Only trouble is, the rest of the roads round here are 60 mile an hour country lanes which would make me feel a little uncomfortable taking him on.

He even tried going cycling yesterday with dad in the puring rain, he only managed 1.5 miles before both decided it was too much, I must get some wet weather gear! Any clues on where I can get tiny clothes?He has some shorts but they are big, gloves aren't too bad, but would be fab getting decent base layers/waterproof stuff to fit him. Although he's 6(in 3 weeks) he is the average height of a 3yr+9mth old :wacko:

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Try camping stores, I got both my bubs some baselayers from Millets, they do really small sizes.
As #2 sits on a trailer he doesn't put in much work & gets chiily, so for the winter he has an all in one ski suit, which kept him nice, dry & cosy.
#3 has some Regatta overtrousers but these can make him a bit too sweaty, & an Altura Vis rain jacket.
Camping storres also do hiking type clothes in childrens sizes, more showerproof than waterproof, but they are very quick drying, they both have the ones that can zip the bottoms off to make them into shorts
One trick I tried & it's worked well so far is I bought them both a pair of these but in larger size, then to added some waterproofer when washing them, One days when looks like might rain I pack them in my panniers & they can just slip them over their shorts if it does rain.

veloman

I regularly take my kids out on the road and have done since they got to 8 years old. I initially kept to quiet country roads but as they progress that kind of becomes impossible as distances increase. The main thing is knowing they can control the bike properly, i.e. keeping parallel and equidistant with the side of the road whilst changing gear, drinking and breaking (even if on the drops). I am careful on timings though, evenings and weekends rather than during the rush hour.
The kids race weekly on "open" road circuits although junctions are normally marshalled; here (South of France) kids are racing from 7 years old.

For cycling clothing try Decathalon, they do plenty for the kids.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Thanks for all the advice. It may seem that perhap's I am being a little over the top, but he has eczma, asthma and heart disease and just want to get all the necessary stuff I can so making it possible for him to keep doing it, if he get's too damp/cold then could trigger his asthma meaning he has to stop and this would make him very, very sad.

He's been training very hard indeed for the Tour De Vale 15 mile ride for charity and has been wonderful to see such grit and determination from such a little fella so I will do all I can. He did a 3 mile session with dad during dad's lunchtime break, is averaging 8mph on his heavy 13kg bike, will the Islabike really make a massive difference to his enjoyment, handling and speed? I hope so!

Top Bottom