Kids, Trailers and Trains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elaine

Hi all, I need to know if my plan is crazy or not! Is it possible to take two adult bikes, two trailers and two kids(5 and 6) by train from Newcastle to Weymouth without going nuts and heading home within the hour? We don't have a car anymore, just bikes, and we would prefer not to hire a van to transport everything. Help?

willem

Über Member
We have done such things, even in the UK. For years we have toured with a childback tandem plus luggage trailer, an adult solo bike, and a children's bike. The UK was the biggest challenge, with outrageously bad train services and inept facilities for bikes. The good news was staff were usually nice. Whether it will work on your particular route is hard for me to tell: your train company may differ. That, of course, is part of the madness.
Willem

OP
OP
E

elaine

thanks Willem, I'll do a bit more research with the train options. We'd love to get to Jersey at some point too but our fitness levels are not up to cycling the whole way yet!

andym

Über Member
The simplest journey option would be Newcastle to Bristol Temple Meads then BTM to Weymouth. (There's one maybe two trains a day - 11.25am on the day I looked at).

If you look on the National Rail enquiries website you cn get details of each train company's cycle policy. (Click 'see all details' and then 'cycle policy' for the train you are interested in).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Assuming Newcastle to BTM is the same company as Plymouth to BTM ... I can report they are a pain ... we had a job's worth who wouldn't let us book the bikes on as it was less than 1 hr (about 55 mins) before the train left, and wouldn't let us put it on the empty train without a booking. Make sure you book your bikes on the train in advance - you have to go to a station to do that. We didn't bother sitting the seats they reserved for us as they were at the opposite end of the train - but with kids you might prefer to.

andym

Über Member
Yep, I didn't want to put Elaine off, but Virgin don't have a very good reputation for bike-friendliness. Find out what the cycle policy is in advance - don't just turn up and hope for the best.

While we're on the subject of Virgin Cross country, my impression is that the service is subject to frequent delays. That may have got better, but it's worth bearing in mind.

My experience of First Great Western on the other hand is that they are no problem - mainly because they run a lot of old 125s with old-fashioned guards wagons.

Rann trailers and child trailers are not the same thing...

Rann trailers were invented in the 1930s by a bloke called Rann!

They are what is now known as trailer bikes there is a good article on the CTC Website

Trailers are an unknown quantity. I have carried trailer with no problem, but also been turned away because they would "cause an obstruction" on the train.

I think the folding trailer and idea is best.

Rob S

Cunobelin said:
Rann trailers and child trailers are not the same thing...

Rann trailers were invented in the 1930s by a bloke called Rann!

I know that!!:eek: The OP just says trailers...as trains don't accept Rann type trailers they are even less likely to allow the two wheeled child trailers either.

Top Bottom