Killer Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

what I want to know is what was he doing in Cornwall if he is from Swindon??? If he is an off roader and was on his way to an event or back from one he wouldn't ride an Apollo.

Lock him up, 25mph on a pavement is inexcuseable

The sentencing situation looks the same as when someone gets killed by a car but the driver can only be tried for dangerous driving with a much lower sentence than murder/manslaughter. Personally they should throw the book at him as his actions resulted in death. Maybe do him for manslaughter at least. Perhaps there should be two levels of charging. One for people who commit a crime and another level for people who commit the crime and it results in others being affected negatively. However the law is the law. I don't think making an example of him would deter other pavement cyclists in the same way other people aren't deterred from speeding/dangerous driving.

Cab

pzycoman said:
Should be the same sentance for a driver who mounts the pavement and kills someone, so thats what, 3 points on his license and a 60 quid fine?

Yep, although actually killing someone on the pavement by hitting them with a car would usually lead to a stiffer penalty than that. But the principle is sound, same punishment as you'd give a motorist. With the proviso that I doubt whether the punishment that a motorist would receive would actually be sufficiently harsh.

pzycoman

Cab said:
Yep, although actually killing someone on the pavement by hitting them with a car would usually lead to a stiffer penalty than that. But the principle is sound, same punishment as you'd give a motorist. With the proviso that I doubt whether the punishment that a motorist would receive would actually be sufficiently harsh.

My solicitor, when she used to do prosecution, had a guy 2 years ago who was 3 times over the limit on alcyhol, on cocaine, mounted the pavement at 45mph (in a 30 zone) and killed a mother and a baby. He was given 10 points and 600 quid fine.

girofan

:biggrin: Why not make sure Top Gear gets hold of this story. Or Nigel Havers. I'm sure their "D list" celebrity status could bring a change in the law that sees cyclists, hung, drawn and quatered, but motorists get 2 points and a sixty quid fine. :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

yep, got to be manslaughter.

ChrisKH

Guru
Not enough information to judge. For example, was the car of the deceased on the pavement? Wouldn't excuse the act, obviously as the guy was cycling like a dick.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm not sure what he should get but it's rather applicable to dangerous car driving, suggesting that if this is how you treat pavement cycling, pavement driving must be treated more harshly and anyone who is believed to be doing a few miles over the limit and kills someone is treated in the same way.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I agree that he should be jailed for causing the death of this man. Too often we call for the jailing of reckless motorists, This loon is no different except that he was on a bike.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Just wondered, thats' all. I am new remember, having read so much bile hurled at car/lorry/bus drivers I wanted to see the reaction when the tables were turned.

And what a decent bunch you are.:biggrin:

Top Bottom