Killer driver sentenced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
This should be appealed to the Home Sec, IMO.

I agree, but putting him in prison for 6 months to a year will do sod all, but I do think that someone should have done more in the investigation about the brightness of the said rear light, but I bet that was broken in the accident, so he used that as his get-out of jail card.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I agree, but putting him in prison for 6 months to a year will do sod all, but I do think that someone should have done more in the investigation about the brightness of the said rear light, but I bet that was broken in the accident, so he used that as his get-out of jail card.

Not sod all - it may make other drivers think and pay more attention.

And on the flip side - you get one of the new rear lights that can be seen from a mile away (apparently) and they're too bright and combined with the rain on the windscreen blinded the driver enough so he didn't see the cyclist! I despair!!

dawesome

He had admitted the wiper blade had smudged the windscreen, but was not sure if it was on. He refused to tell police when he had first become aware of the problem with the wiper

He killed someone, then refused to help the investigation into the death.

Extremely shocking decision on the judges part.
Yet again an indication of the low level of regard joe public has for cyclists.

The driver was over 10% in excess of the speed limit and should be driving at 30 mph not 40.
The speeding, weather conditions and limited visibility caused by a dirty windscreen were the root causes of the "accident" so the driver should have been locked up and made an example of.

My condolences to the cyclists family and friends.

Jonno Boy

Regular
I hate to play enemy's advocate, but the judge cited poor bicycle lights. A lesson for us all, make sure that we can be seen.

dawesome

We don't know anything about the lights, if they were legal the remarks were baffling.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I often see people cycling with poor or weak rear lights. Not because the lights are at fault, but because the batteries haven't been changed in a year. I've done it myself - thought one light was ok; changed the batteries on a whim; been blinded by doing so.

I'm torn between wanting this driver punished and ensuring that justice is done. For me, the latter is more about making sure this type of accident doesn't happen again. Sending someone to prison doesn't necessarily contribute towards such an outcome.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Same area! Maybe the judges are drinking buddies or do funny handshakes!
I'm sure there is a lot of that goes on. I was involved in a crown court case where a train collided with a car at an open level crossing, The train & crossing equipment had data recorders which showed everything was working correctly, but the car driver was a magistrate & after 3 days of evidence & witnesses the judge directed the jury to a not guilty verdict :cursing:

adds21

Rider of bikes
The thing is, we don't know all the facts.

This may be unpopular here, but I'm not sure that a custodial sentence is always the answer. I presume that no driver goes on the road with the intention of killing a cyclist, and what good would a custodial sentence do? Would it bring back the cyclist? No. Would it make other drivers more aware on the road? No. Would be ease the pain of the family? Maybe, but we don't know. We have no way of knowing how the driver is coping. The general option here appears to be that he's (metaphorically) down the pub laughing about it, I very much doubt that's the case.

If someone could show me a direct connection between tougher sentencing for drivers, and a reduction in road traffic deaths, then I may well change my mind, but I doubt there is one.

Top Bottom