Killer Hill need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
39/25 is perfectly do-able for 15%, you just need the practice and strength to do it, both of which come over time. A local hill to me has a 1/8mile section at 15% after a 1.5 mile drag at 6% and I usually do the last section in 39/24 (I have a 28 fitted, so the next cog down). I usually head up the steepest with HR about 165, but if I'm pushing it can be 185. Yes it's painful and hard work, but doing so will make you stronger. That old saying is true...no pain no gain.

I can do 25% on a 39, but only if it's not too long, otherwise it would have to be a compact.

Having good cardio fitness make hills that much easier too so you can get your wind back easier

bornagainst

Über Member
39/25 is a pretty high lowest gear in my opinion.. I've always taken comfort in having a 'get out of jail' 34/28 lowest gear.
I'm sure you could try a 28 on the back without spending much money and you might find 39/28 makes a real difference.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My advice for the killer hill is to practice... by cycling up more killer hills. You'll get used to it eventually :smile:.

Sara_H

Guru
Go slower. Many people seem to try too hard up hills - I think the brain tries to maintain the speed you were doing on the flat! My wife struggled with hills and hated then to the point that she didn't want to cycle if there was one in the way. I went out with her and told her "keep up with me". I then deliberately cycled in my lowest gear as slowly as I could without falling off.

The hill that she had been 'unable' to climb before she got up without even breathing hard - albeit very slowly! It made her realise that she could pretty much get up anything, it's just about getting the effort balance right!

PS I'm not advocating crawling up every hill by the way, just pointing out that you'll probably find if you go take the same hill in the above manner you'd get up it. It's then about working out how much effort is the correct amount to lessen your time climbing without physically wearing you out that you have to stop!
+1 to this advice. For years i've been unable to make it up the very big hill that I live at the top of, and have had to get off and walk. After my spell of ill health I found I was taking it more slowly, and hay presto I am now riding all the way up the big hill! It's still hard work, but a massive achievement and it knocks about 10 -15 minutes off my ride home because I am actually riding, not walking for the last mile!

39/25 is perfectly do-able for 15%, you just need the practice and strength to do it, both of which come over time. A local hill to me has a 1/8mile section at 15% after a 1.5 mile drag at 6% and I usually do the last section in 39/24 (I have a 28 fitted, so the next cog down). I usually head up the steepest with HR about 165, but if I'm pushing it can be 185. Yes it's painful and hard work, but doing so will make you stronger. That old saying is true...no pain no gain.

I can do 25% on a 39, but only if it's not too long, otherwise it would have to be a compact.

Definately, the short but steep Gloom Hill (Castle Road Dollar) is an average of 15% for a km (maxing at 31%). Used to think I had a 36t ring but discovered after I done that hill its a 39t :blush:

Top Bottom