Kinda nervous for tommorrow commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im going to take my bike for the first time to commute which is about 10 miles to marleybone.anything to look out for or any advice.also its ok for me to ride in the bus lane right?
Congratulations - good move - yes you can ride in bus lanes (tho last time I checked so now can motorcyclists which I think a bad initiative) - I don't know if Park Lane is on your way but I quite like the newish cyclelane there.
Most London bus drivers are excellent with cyclists, though on one day I posted that comment on a forum I ended up in an altercation with one - an exception.
London is generally great for cycling despite what some outoftowners think - I'd be far more worried cycling in some rural areas.
Have a great ride in and out.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don’t try and squeeze into every gap particularly around buses and lorries at traffic lights. Consider if there are quieter back roads you can use if you don’t like the level of traffic. Be assertive in holding your position on the road. Allow plenty of time whilst you get used to it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have you had a practice run? Before doing it for real I strongly suggest doing a dummy run on a none work day, maybe when traffic is a bit lighter, just so you can familiarise yourself with the route and junction layouts etc. Knowing in advance where you are going and which lane you need to be in can remove a lot of potential stress once the traffic levels increase.
Also, make sure you prepare everything the night before. Check your bike over and pack your bag as much as you can. Trying to faff about in the morning when you need to get out of the door is a real pain in the Arris! If you prepare the night before then you can simply get up, enjoy your coffee then go, simples... 👍
Final thing, how used to cycling on the roads are you? This will make a big difference to how calm your journey is. If you have only recently started cycling then the traffic and roads may be a bit if a shock to you. If you are an experienced road cyclist but just never bothered commuting by bike then it probably won't be such a shock.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to clarify, when I say prepare the night before I mean stuff like making your sandwiches, make sure the bike you will use is by the door, get your clothes out ready, etc.

Also, DO NOT travel without the kit and ability to fix a puncture. It WILL happen at some point, but the fix is relatively quick and easy so it doesn't have to ruin your day if you are prepared. If you are not sure how to do it then practice at home with the kit you will carry on the commute :okay:

Im going to take my bike for the first time to commute which is about 10 miles to marleybone.anything to look out for or any advice.also its ok for me to ride in the bus lane right?

Don't panic.

Also don't panic if it feels harder than you expected on day one: if you aren't used to riding ten miles it may be a shock, but riding gets easier as your body and brain get used to it; take your time. You'll learn what to look out for and probably find a few short cuts you aren't yet aware of in the first couple of weeks.

Over time you'll find you are more punctual than the people driving cars, feeling fitter and paying less than they are for the privilege.

Last edited:
Sing a merry tune as you ride and pay homage to the fab 4.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbg8T9r1DiQ

It's such a cute station.

And learn to spell it!

vickster

Legendary Member
Bus lanes, mostly yes but look at the signs and look out for buses pulling out. London bus drivers don’t always realise they’re meant to share bus lanes! Most are ok but some are awful, ditto black cab drivers who also don’t like to share road space!
Presumably you know where you’re going?
Allow at least half an hour more than you think you’ll need if you’ve not practised.
Also, if leaving a bike on the road or a not 100% secure work carpark, take two good locks to secure the bike, I’d also take the seat post and saddle with, makes a new bike far less attractive to a thief and you won’t come back to a saddle less bike!

Leave plenty of time. Dont rush.
Plan your route carefully. Look on the map for cycle routes and also quieter side roads.
Identify pinch points that you cant avoid and think about how you position for safety.
Leave a big gap to the kerb and parked cars.
Overtaking stopped buses is a tricky one. Often better to let them start going rather than play overtake with them the whole way.

Left-turning big vehicles are a big danger. Never get on the left of left turning vehicles. Big ones pull out to the right before left turns and the rear wheels do not follow the front, they cut the corner.
Also potholes and lemming pedestrians.

Once you refine a good route and know the potholes and junctions it becomes much easier.

Just to clarify, when I say prepare the night before I mean stuff like making your sandwiches, make sure the bike you will use is by the door, get your clothes out ready, etc.

Also, DO NOT travel without the kit and ability to fix a puncture. It WILL happen at some point, but the fix is relatively quick and easy so it doesn't have to ruin your day if you are prepared. If you are not sure how to do it then practice at home with the kit you will carry on the commute :okay:

If you cant fix your bike yet, a passing cyclist will probably help out. Having a spare inner tube and the right tools helps them. I always carry a bit of rag but you get hand cleanser sachets and rubber gloves now.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Good luck, just use common sense and some caution. 10 miles is is great commute distance. Where abouts are you riding to MYB from? Plan a route and scope it out first on street view if you are in doubt. I miss not commuting it was the highlight of my pre WFH days.

better still try Ilikeskols idea, Sunday morning dry run sounds good shame it Sunday night now - go and try it now!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
Congratulations - good move - yes you can ride in bus lanes (tho last time I checked so now can motorcyclists which I think a bad initiative) - I don't know if Park Lane is on your way but I quite like the newish cyclelane there.
Most London bus drivers are excellent with cyclists, though on one day I posted that comment on a forum I ended up in an altercation with one - an exception.
London is generally great for cycling despite what some outoftowners think - I'd be far more worried cycling in some rural areas.
Have a great ride in and out.
Ok thanks for the help and i will im nervous and excited lol

Top Bottom