Kindle V Books. My verdict.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Whilst I do like real books for the tactile pleasure, I must admit to benefiting from the e-book experience (mentioned above). That is, from reading OF a book to reading said book a few minutes later, all without leaving the sofa! Particularly good for older/more obscure titles when such texts can often be found for free but not easily found in local book stores.

I even have to admit to not minding the reading experience on a device. I have the kindle app on a tablet and find it acceptable. I've decided the book itself is more important; if it's a good book you don't mind so much how you're reading it!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm a kindle & nook ite. I have paper books, I love the works, but I enjoy the convenience and can cope without the tactile sensation of a book for the convenience of a kindle.

you could make the same tradition v modern argument over using this forum or going for a chat down the pub.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My suitcase on the average business trip:

DSCF6216.JPG

hoopdriver

Guru
I have surprised myself be becoming quite a fan if e-books, although I find I prefer the Kindle app on my iPod to my Kindle itself

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Another pro and another con:

Pro:
Reading one-handed is easier, which leaves t'other free for your pint/cuffing children/other

Con:
Far less convenient for 'nipping back' to remind yourself who this character-you-last-met-50-odd-pages-ago is, and similar. With a book, you know it's 'something like x ago', and can zero in on the right place quickly; with Kindle, you have to go back page-page-page-page etc.
There is a search facility on a Kindle which I use if I want to remind myself of when someone or something appeared in the book. It enables you to find every location in the book where a certain word / name etc occurs.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Kindle has broadened my reading interests considerably due to the fair number of self published authors, the relative cheapness of e-books compared to paper books, and the availability of classics for usually nothing or next to nothing. Recently though I have started to read paper books more and find it quite a novelty. If I was to have to choose one or the other for the rest of my time, I would probably go for conventional books, although storage is a big problem if you are a hoarder like me.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I was given a Kindle as a present from Miss A_T so gave it a go- it was OK but prefer books still.
With reference books I like the flexibility of being able to flick back and forward to compare information and look at pictures/ tables.... can't stand pdfs on a screen for that reason when trying to reference stuff or if editing or writing reports.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My Kindle died at the weekend, had it a fair while. This is the second one to die on me so am thinking of getting a Nexus 7 instead unless someone can come up with a better alternative

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Traiter... haha

I like to look and feel of books. Love the library and charity shop books. I'm sure electronic ones are convenient and work for others but i like murdering trees:tongue:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My Kindle died at the weekend, had it a fair while. This is the second one to die on me so am thinking of getting a Nexus 7 instead unless someone can come up with a better alternative

I have heard good things about the nexus. And it has a great screen. Seems to be the one to go for, or the nexus 10 with a 10" screen.

Top Bottom