Kinesis Crosslight wheel components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
I’ve got a pair of 2015 (?) Kinesis Crosslight CX disc wheels which need rebuilding - keep breaking spokes, alum nipples are seized. The rims and hubs are ok. I’m new to wheelbuilding but keen to have a go. Easy enough to measure the spokes and source new ones but I’m curious to know where Kinesis sourced the parts.

Rims are 24mm wide, 20mm internally and 22mm deep, with eyelets, 28 holes.
i can’t identify the hubs. As far as I can tell they are not Powerway, Chosen, Bitex, nor Novotec.

I’d like to work from ‘first priciples’ so I can use a spoke calculator to confirm the correct spoke lengths.

Anyone know what they used?

Big John

Guru
You can still use a spoke calculator even if you don't know who's rim or hub you've got. You can do the manual measurements yourself and enter them into the calculator. You'll need the ERD for the rim so Google how to do this - it'll be a better explanation than I can give here. You'll also need various measurements from the hub. The spoke calculator may tell you how to do this but again Google may be able to help. If not try the Sheldon brown website for advice. From memory it's distance from centre of hub to left flange, distance from centre of hub to right flange and the radius to the centre of the spoke hole in the flange. I vaguely remember having to measure the thickness of the flange too. Hopefully the answer you finally get back will equal the length of the spokes you have.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Thanks John. Yes, had to do manual calculations in the end. Fortunately I've got a decent digital calliper and electronic height gauge so measuring the hub dimensions was relatively easy. Tape measure for the internal rim diameter, plus 2 x thickness of the eyelet gives the ERD - Effective Rim Diameter (I now know!). 2 cross spoke pattern. Bung in the Sapim spoke calculator and I get the same length as the spokes that came out of the wheel. So, I'll be ordering in the morning!

Still like to know whose hubs and rims they used, though. Spokes are Pillar, and I suspect the wheels came complete from the Far East, so rims Kinlin? Hubs, I thought a clue would be that there are two bearings on the disc side, and one on the right (front wheel) but I can't seen anything that matches.

Oh, well, these are really a practice pair, so I'll get building.

PS am I right in thinking that spoke length is measure from the spoke end to the inside of the elbow?

si_c

Guru
Might be worth dropping Kinesis an email - they have the spoke lengths on their website for the V2 and V5 Crosslight wheels but I can't find any others - I don't think that these are yours though as the rim width is 26mm not 24.

Big John

Guru
Building is the best fun ever (I obviously need to get out more!). Be prepared to make mistakes. That's how you learn 👍

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Spokes (Sapim Race) ordered from Spa Cycles. I’ll rebuild the hubs with new bearings and a bit of fettling, then crack on.

I’ve had the Jobst Brandt book for ages, then recently someone gave me a copy Of Gerd Schraner’s book, and I’ve also bought Roger Musson’s Wheelpro book. I’ve bought a bargain, second hand, Park Tool TS 2.2P jig and dishing tool.

Watch this space, and possibly Exeter Hospital A+E department.

* threadlock on threads?

si_c

Guru
Touch of oil seems to work for me never used thread lock.

si_c

Guru
Okay, oil it will be! But what sort? Can I use engine oil, or machine tool slideway oil, or '3 in one'. I'm guessing it's not really too important, just 'oil' will do?

Mostly I use wet chain lube as it's what I have to hand - just a touch on the threads, normally I just dip the threaded section in the bottle. 3-in-1 would work the same I would imagine - any light oil should do fine. I'm not sure whether using a grease on the end instead would work or not.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Right, first wheel built, centred, and true radially and laterally ( as good as I'm going to get it*), but spoke tension is variable (pluck test) so I need to work on evening them out. I've bought a Park Tool 'tensionometer, but what ballpark tension am I aiming for? 125Kgf? Spokes are Sapim Race 28 x 2.0/1.8/2.0mm.

Measuring carefully, the rim width varies around the circumference by 1mm. I can't see any damage, but the are non-branded, probably cheap and badly manufactured?

Soupmother

Thanks John. Yes, had to do manual calculations in the end. Fortunately I've got a decent digital calliper and electronic height gauge so measuring the hub dimensions was relatively easy. Tape measure for the internal rim diameter, plus 2 x thickness of the eyelet gives the ERD - Effective Rim Diameter (I now know!). 2 cross spoke pattern. Bung in the Sapim spoke calculator and I get the same length as the spokes that came out of the wheel. So, I'll be ordering in the morning!

Still like to know whose hubs and rims they used, though. Spokes are Pillar, and I suspect the wheels came complete from the Far East, so rims Kinlin? Hubs, I thought a clue would be that there are two bearings on the disc side, and one on the right (front wheel) but I can't seen anything that matches.

Oh, well, these are really a practice pair, so I'll get building.

PS am I right in thinking that spoke length is measure from the spoke end to the inside of the elbow?

Hi, do you remember the ERD you measured for these? I have a pair of CX disc wheels that need new rims, and while I could unlace them and measure it myself, it would be handy to just buy the right rims and then swap them straight across.

Top Bottom