Kinesis Maxlight FF29 build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So today I went down to Delamere to pick up the FF29 frame from Tracs. I did take my bike with me and managed about 6 miles in the woods before I could contain myself no longer and headed back to the visitor centre to get the frame.

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3753.JPG

It's an orange frame in a small. Cost of frame forks and headset from Tracs was 700 (extra 30 for the tapered forks). Online I could have got it with different forks for 670 but I wanted the X-fusion and the orange frame.

I also couldn't have got a test ride online and a long chat about buying a 29er and the value of that can't be underestimated, so Tracs got my business for this and my sons GT Avalanche too.

I've gone for some Superstar wheels, not the lightest at 2kg but I'd have to pay a lot more than 130 to get lighter, so for the moment they'll do as I need to keep to a budget of about 1100, a new built one being 1500. Talking of which, most of my stuff will probably be bought from Germany as the prices are too good to ignore.

I plan on using mostly Deore kit for transmission, gears and maybe brakes. I've already bought a Deore Hollowtech crankset and yes I know about Hollowtech but the bearings are easy to replace.

I'll update this thread when I have all the bits to put it together which will be another month or so

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Lovely colour Crax. Different too. Let's see it built.

lukesdad

like the Xfusion fork Ive been looking at the velvet to replace my old sid XC on my full susser as I want more travel.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

like the Xfusion fork Ive been looking at the velvet to replace my old sid XC on my full susser as I want more travel.
They sell them, if you didn't know, at Upgrade bikes and I think they are a reasonably priced and very flexible fork. Spacers can be adjusted to make them 26/650b/29 and alter the travel, depending on which fork you get and they get good reviews, particularly the Velvet.

I'm ignoring the patient comment. so it took me a couple of months to make my mind up....and?

Edit: Sorry, they don't sell them at Upgrade, they just list them, you need to find a dealer to get one. Upgrade are the distributor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Probike are doing Reverbs at £158 delivered Cracks........:whistle:
That is a good price, though I can't see it on the website. I think stuff like that will have to wait. I'll stick to stopping before the steep stuff and lowering the seat whilst admiring the view and sipping some water. I'll add it to the potential Xmas list next to the Garmin Dakota and stuff.

Venod

Eh up
That's a very nice frame, I am a big fan of Kinesis having built 1 CX & 1 road bike this year, I already have 2 MTb's so getting another might not go down well, but wait what was that expensive coat she wanted ;)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The Superstar wheels arrived today, so I put them on so I could stand over the bike and get an impression of how I might set the cockpit up.

2013-09-17%252016.17.11.jpg

2013-09-17%252016.16.06.jpg

2013-09-17%252016.13.40.jpg

Bike looks a bit odd like that but it confirmed that I probably won't deviate too far from the 90mm stem on the built bikes and the low riser bars. Maybe a bit more stack height but I'll see.

Wheels look pretty good for the money, quite impressed, except I suddenly realized that the valve hole looked a bit small and sure enough a Schrader valve won't go through. I can't think of a valid reason why this is the case so I've e-mailed Superstar and will see what they say. It must surely be manufacturing tolerance but I can't be the only one who's received these wheels, so either my mistake in the order or there's a problem.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've run Presta valves on the MTBs for donkeys. Cubester's DT Swiss rims were presta drilled. There are plenty of presta tubes around, so go with it!

They do look like good wheels for the money. I still run a Superstar rear hub on my bouncer

lukesdad

Doesn't everyone run Presta ? Obviously not :ohmy: didn't that steerer get in the way when you were visualising the cockpit :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I've run Presta valves on the MTBs for donkeys. Cubester's DT Swiss rims were presta drilled. There are plenty of presta tubes around, so go with it!

They do look like good wheels for the money. I still run a Superstar rear hub on my bouncer
Really. I'm obviously not with it then. It never even occurred to me to think Presta, well it did but not seriously. Presta tubes in 29, I'll have to investigate and try a Presta in it tomorrow. I'm actually not keen on that, it means carrying three fekkin inner tubes on a family ride.

They'll be having a laugh at my email tomorrow then, "'ere Bert, there's some clown here who still uses Schrader...."

Top Bottom