Kinesis Maxlight FF29 build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK, I'm going to stick to 9 speed as the cost on other parts was beginning to stack up despite the wonderful shifter bargains on Merlin :cry:

May well get a Ron or maybe two, bit lighter and the bigger contact area of a 29er may make a difference, still mulling that one.

Searching for seatpost options now and grips. Will leave the handlebars and stem until it's together and just use some old stuff so I can get a feel for the position before deciding.

Need to find some outer cable and a few bits and bobs and then it may be time to start pressing buttons....

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
NN front, RR rear makes for a nice chuckable balance. I really like it for all conditions. For bone dry racing I put RR on front as well, but otherwise I'm always on NNf RRr.

9 speed all the way. Cheaper (not just to buy but to replace/maintain), and more robust.

Seatpost - Merlin have the Reverb on at £175.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You know with brakes being the other way around in Germany, can I swop them over? It's probably a simple question but apart from using disc brakes, I've not really had to do any maintenance yet.
It's a breeze. You have to shorten the hoses anyway, else they look goppin' , so you can swap them over them at the same time.

The below assumes your brakes include a new olive and barbed insert. If not you'll need some.

Bolt your calipers onto the the frame and fork, and route the hoses to the bars. Clamp lever on snug . Hoses will be wrong way round at this point

Take the pads out and gently squeeze the lever until a few mm of piston emerge from the caliper body. This pushes fluid out of the res and into the caliper. With the reservoir as horizontal as possible on the bars unscrew the little bleed port a turn or so.

Now, use an 8mm spanner to unscrew the inline connector on the lever end of the hose. When it's loose don't wave it about too much and lose fluid from the end. Same with the other side.

Now, measure the shortest distance required to take hose from caliper to lever, and use a very sharp stanley blade to cut clean and square. Now, slide the outer plastic over over those, then the inline connector, threads towards the cut end, then teh olive, then drive in the barbed insert. I hold the hose with pliers and use a toffee hammer to drive it in snugly. Other methods involving vices exist.

Now, (remembering to put the hoses into the opposite levers.......) push the olive up to the end of the hose where it will sit against the outer flange (lovely word, flange) of the barbed insert, and slide the inline connector to the olive. Push into the inline connector female bit keeping everything square, making sure the flange of the insert makes it all the way to the bottom of the female bit. Tighten the inline connector and as you do so the olive will be compressed and create a seal . Torque settings are "pretty damn tight".

Now, using the orange plastic wedges between the pistons to protect them, push the pistons back into the caliper body. This pushes fluid from the caliper into the hoses, and with any luck if you have lost a few scam myu of fluid from the hose this will effectively push the air in the last inch of hose into the reservoir. Nip up the bleed cap on the res and refit the pads.

Put the wheels and rotors back between the pads and pump the levers to pressurise the brakes and go shred.

Cubist

Still wavin'
NN front, RR rear makes for a nice chuckable balance. I really like it for all conditions. For bone dry racing I put RR on front as well, but otherwise I'm always on NNf RRr.

9 speed all the way. Cheaper (not just to buy but to replace/maintain), and more robust.

Seatpost - Merlin have the Reverb on at £175.
Some 9 speed bits are currently more than their 10 speed counterparts. Chainsets for example.

lukesdad

Ah bugger. Another long held belief goes tits up.
Don't worry they'll revert to 9 speed once everybody has gone 10 speed lol

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well the hose lengths were a bit tight on the cheaper ones, so I've paid a bit more to make sure I've enough length. Well, I haven't pressed the button yet, do that later after tea :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well the hose lengths were a bit tight on the cheaper ones, so I've paid a bit more to make sure I've enough length. Well, I haven't pressed the button yet, do that later after tea :smile:
Don't do it at all

Go to Chain reaction and order a front right hand 100mm XT black brake and a rear XT 1700mm black brake, and when you get to the checkout enter SURVEY10 for a tenner discount.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m785-disc-brake/rp-prod67208

If you can make the order from £69 for one brake plus some outer cable or whatever to £75, use the code above once, then order the other brake and a fiver's worth of consumables and use code TEN in the basket for another tenner off. XT Brakes with ICE tech pads for 60 an end?

I expect SLX may even be better value!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802 :eek:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Don't do it at all

Go to Chain reaction and order a front right hand 100mm XT black brake and a rear XT 1700mm black brake, and when you get to the checkout enter SURVEY10 for a tenner discount.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m785-disc-brake/rp-prod67208

If you can make the order from £69 for one brake plus some outer cable or whatever to £75, use the code above once, then order the other brake and a fiver's worth of consumables and use code TEN in the basket for another tenner off. XT Brakes with ICE tech pads for 60 an end?

I expect SLX may even be better value!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802 :eek:

I've already got stuff in the crc basket so I could easily do the discount bit. I could afford the 2nd offer, the XT take me too far over budget. That is a good offer. Well found, though I'm not sure where you're getting that code from.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

All ordering done. Budget was 1100 but I've gone over by another 100 and I could have spent soooooo much more. Just the stem and bars to get but I might use the bars I have but cut them down a bit. I'll see.

Top Bottom