Kinesis Maxlight FF29 build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

1200 :ohmy: you coulda gota proper bike for that Crax :biggrin:
S'true, there's a lot of options for 1200. I suppose you end up picking the bike you fancy.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK, everything has arrived, I have some time, I've just sorted everything out of it's boxes, ready to head into the shed and begin the build, dinner first. While I was doing that I stuck everything on the scales. So below is the nearly final spec, with weights of components.

• Kinesis Maxlight FF29 Frame -- 1680g -- Tracs bikes - Advertised weight
  • X-Fusion Slide 29er Forks -- 1900g - Tracs bikes
  • Superstar XCX 29 Wheels Front/rear -- 1066/1170g - Superstar
  • Tyres Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic Performance -- 611/579g -- bike Discount.de
  • Inner tubes Schwalbe SV19a (light) -- 306g -- ebay
  • Shimano Deore Crankset inc. BB -- 1000g - Rose Bikes
  • KMC x9.73 Chain -- 313g - Bike Discount.de
  • Shimano HG80 cassettee 11-32 -- 286g - CRC
  • Shimano M591 rear Derailleur -- 294g - Bike Discount.de
  • Shimano M590 Front Derailleur -- 170g - Bike Discount.de
  • Shimano M395 Brakes -- 600g - Bike Discount.de
  • Shimano Deore Trigger shifters -- 300g -- Merlin
  • Rotors and bolts -- 278g -- ebay
  • Headset FSA tapered -- 200g -- Tracs bikes --estimated
  • Seatpost FSA SL280 -- 348g -- ebay
  • Bars GT -- 291g -- Leftovers from another project
  • Grips Token -- 130g - CRC
  • Seat QR Superstar -- 47g -- Superstar
  • Headset Spacers Superstar -- 16g -- Superstar
  • FSA Star nut and cap -- 23g -- ebay
  • Madison Flux saddle -- 293g -- ebay
  • Deda Dog fang -- 10g -- ebay
  • Lizard Skin protector -- 16g --ebay
  • Stem Superstar Laser 100mm 5deg rise --140g -- Superstar
  • Cables and bits -- 100g -- ebay

Predicted weight for the build is just over 11kg, which is good as I didn't have the money to go super light but if you did, you could probably get this to around the 10kg mark.

Don't ask me what was going through my head when I ordered the lightweight inner tubes, I don't know.

I tried hard to keep to the budget I'd initially set which was 1100. Hence I didn't go for the brake bargains Cubist posted further up. I could have done it cheaper if I'd gone for a cheaper transmission and tyres but there are compromises and then there are compromises. So 1208 is the final cost. Undoubtedly there are a few things forgotten but not much.

Right, dinner over, I'm off to the shed....

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Is he still in the shed?
No, I only really started today, was busy sorting the shed so I could use it.

Anyway hit a snag first thing. The bb Thread on the non-drive side has some swarf and slight damage. I can't get the cup to catch. I spent some time looking at it but I'm not going to risk anything. just about to take it back to Tracs to see if they can just clean it out with the right tool. Such is life.

Cubist

Still wavin'
How brave are you? You can ***** carefully****** use an old BB cup to chase the threads clean.
No, I only really started today, was busy sorting the shed so I could use it.

Anyway hit a snag first thing. The bb Thread on the non-drive side has some swarf and slight damage. I can't get the cup to catch. I spent some time looking at it but I'm not going to risk anything. just about to take it back to Tracs to see if they can just clean it out with the right tool. Such is life.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@Crackle i hope we will be getting the full-on photojournal record of the build a la cubist.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

How brave are you? You can ***** carefully****** use an old BB cup to chase the threads clean.
I know but not in this case. It needed the full intervention of one of these

yhst-78341476818073_2268_984253888.jpg

He started out trying to chase it out with an old steel cup. I thought he'd done it at first and was impressed because when I looked at it I didn't think it could be done that way. I've chased threads out before but this swarf was well stuck and the first thread partially uncut Which is why I decided not to chance my arm and take it over and lucky I did too. Once he'd got the swarf out, it still wouldn't take, so he needed the tap on it to re-thread the beginning.

Tracs to the rescue though and BB cups now in and I am much relieved if a trifle frustrated not to have got anywhere today and no more time to really get stuck in until tomorrow afternoon. Still the dog got a 20 minute walk he wasn't expecting.

Edit: And not brave when it comes to BB's and headsets. Experience has taught me it's expensive to muck up.
@Crackle i hope we will be getting the full-on photojournal record of the build a la cubist.

I'll do my best but he's set the bar high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK: So the first thing to do is make sure no one can nick the components while your back is turned. If you don't have one of these, they're available online or from your local dog re-homing kennel.
IMG_3840.JPG

Bottom bracket cups installed with 2.5mm drive side spacer for a 73mm bb shell and clamp on dérailleur
IMG_3833.JPG

With the crankset fitted and it needs a bit of force to go through the cups, fit the other crank and insert the tensioner but not too tight,
IMG_3834.JPG

Crankset on I bolted the front dérailleur onto the frame parallel to the chainwheels and lined up with the guide. Final adjustment will come later.

IMG_3838.JPG

Rear dérailleur attached with the stop bolt the right side of the hangar :whistle:
IMG_3836.JPG

Rear cassette on and lockring tightened
IMG_3839.JPG

Next brakes are fitted and gears and levers fitted to the temporary bars and stem
IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

Front wheel slotted in to check brake alignment and thru axle adjusted so it tightens closer to the fork
IMG_3844.JPG

As seen here
IMG_3845.JPG

And that's currently where we're at. Next job is to swop the brake cables to operate the same as UK brakes, as the brakes came from Germany and to shorten the hoses as they are in the way of me sorting the gear outers out. I just came in for lunch and to re-read Cubists advice on that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

So into the unknown here and cut and swop brake hoses as per Cubist's instructions.

Pushing home the brake hose pin
IMG_3846.JPG

and olive
IMG_3847.JPG

Brake and gear cables done
IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

Saddle and wheels on, beginning to look like a bike
IMG_3852.JPG

Chain and pedals going on
IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

And that was it for today. I was running out of time and light, especially light. I know there's some tools in that shed somewhere! I couldn't leave it in the shed by itself so I've brought it in. It was that or lock the dog in with it.

IMG_3855.JPG

It's together enough for me to gain some impressions having sat on it. Need more stack height, not too short a stem, maybe with some slight rise but it feels about right. Feels light with more weight at the front.

Made one mistake, which didn't surprise me much. I didn't tighten the olive enough on the rear brake, so pumped all the fluid out the reservoir and didn't notice until too late. So bleed kit needed now but at least I got the front one right. I'll know next time.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Finally ordered the stem now. 90mm, 6 degree rise, probably in combination with 20mm of spacers and flat bars, currently 720 wide. I'll probably ride it like that a few times before I make any changes if any are needed.

Top Bottom