Kinesis Maxlight FF29 build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Aesthetically I sometimes struggle with 29er geometry, but that curved downtube and sloping top tube in the small make it look far better proportioned than I would have given it credit for. Love the pics....... mine never had orange in them. Or a dog. ^_^

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Aesthetically I sometimes struggle with 29er geometry, but that curved downtube and sloping top tube in the small make it look far better proportioned than I would have given it credit for. Love the pics....... mine never had orange in them. Or a dog. ^_^

I'm biased but I agree. I thought the small in particular looked right and in general I thought it was nicely proportioned, some just don't look right. It was this article, posted on another thread, which finally swung the decision for me.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/small-in-a-big-way-2/

I've gone for a more trail oriented setup with the 120 forks and higher bars but you could easily run this with 80 forks and a long low stem. I'm looking forward to riding it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
@Crackle Can you do me a favour and explain how to adjust the syntace QR using the allen key capscrew? I've hit a blank of failure to understand how it works!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

@Crackle Can you do me a favour and explain how to adjust the syntace QR using the allen key capscrew? I've hit a blank of failure to understand how it works!
That arm you turn is a separate item which bolts, via the allen key, onto a Square head. You just unscrew the Allen key, pull back the arm and rotate it the way you need.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

So today was final set up.

I just put the chain on the other day so the cranks didn't spin into my shims when I was sitting on it to check stem length. So today I had to take it back off and shorten it.

Chain on rear large cog and front large chainring. Add a couple of links and that's the length we need.
IMG_3857.JPG

Re-thread chain and set up gears, sorry no pictures of me turning screws and tightening cables. It was after this that I found I had some mechanical noise and began to investigate, eliminating the cranks first. I discovered that the rear wheel wasn't sitting home properly due to protuberances on the drop out. And the rear hangar was not tight.

Tightening hangar
IMG_3858.JPG

Filing the droput, rear mech protected.
IMG_3861.JPG

I've still got some mechanical noise but I think most of it will bed in after a few rides. Next was the steerer tube.
Marking the tube over the top spacer
IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

This is not where you're going to cut as you need a few mm below this. The middle line below is the one I'm aiming for. So, fork clamped front and back and the tube braced (not shown), using the edge of the vice as a guide you can cut. I used to have a metal guide but could I find it...
IMG_3864.JPG

Once cut, a brief run over with the file with the fork upside down so no swarf goes on the bearing surface and a quick check with a spacer.
IMG_3867.JPG

The steerer cap will push down on the spacer so it's much more important you drive the star nut in straight to load the bearings evenly. Here is my non patented method for the star nut. Just hit that screwdriver with a hammer. The srewdriver can be 'leaned' to ensure it's going in evenly.
IMG_3868.JPG

Installed - One day I might buy all the right tools for this. it should be in a bit further but there's a good chance I'll be losing that top spacer once I know I don't need it.
IMG_3870.JPG

Fork back on, making sure you put the cables the right side of the stem. You can see that the top spacer is just proud.
IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

Final thing to do is put on the Dog Fang (not from a real dog, he's safe).
IMG_3873.JPG

There mainly because retrieving a dropped chain through this gap normally means flaked paint and a chain splitter. Not to mention swearing.
IMG_3874.JPG

Some piccies of the ff29 next to my old Marin

IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

I await the stem now which no one had in immediate stock, so probaly early next week before I get that. When I do I shall put it and the bars on and post some final pictures before getting down to the nitty gritty of an actual ride report. I'm also awaiting the bleed kit as no bike shops I went to had one in stock.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bleed kit.....blag a syringe from the vet and a bit of windscreen washer tubing. Undo bleed port on lever reservoir and get an 8 mm ringspanner on the caliper nipple. Madam. Mineral oil in syringe (halfords, fiver) and force fluid in through nipple til it emerges from reservoir. Tighten nipple then reservoir port. Wipe off mineral oil with IPA and go shred. :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Bleed kit.....blag a syringe from the vet and a bit of windscreen washer tubing. Undo bleed port on lever reservoir and get an 8 mm ringspanner on the caliper nipple. Madam. Mineral oil in syringe (halfords, fiver) and force fluid in through nipple til it emerges from reservoir. Tighten nipple then reservoir port. Wipe off mineral oil with IPA and go shred. :biggrin:

Really, I didn't realize you could just buy the mineral oil. I asked in Halfords too as they're website said in stock but they didn't have it. I even made them go search for it. The rest I had. It doesn't matter as it's the stem I'm waiting for which I've now ordered from Superstar after just getting an email from Tredz that they couldn't get the FSA one in stock until the end of next week. So it'll be a 100mm stem now.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm told the Citroen ATF you get in the car section at halfords is the same stuff, only about a tenner a litre.

RWright

Guru
I used Singer Sewing Machine Oil in my Magura Louise brakes. Seems to be working fine. I saw it recommended favorably on several bicycle forums.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well after goggling at the tiny bottle of mineral oil which arrived today, I think I will be examining the alternatives.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

OK, all done. Stem arrived this morning, so put it on and bled the rear brake and the front as I discovered the front was a bit soft, so must have lost a bit of fluid out of that too. I have to say, the little Shimano bleed reservoir made the whole thing very neat to do, I recommend it :smile:

Here's a few pics, which are not as good as I hoped, I'll see if I can take some better ones sometime but maybe not, my thread updating span is exhausted. I just want to ride it now.

_IGP1454.jpg

_IGP1452.jpg

_IGP1446.jpg

_IGP1444.jpg

_IGP1447.jpg

_IGP1445.jpg

_IGP1450.jpg

_IGP1442.jpg

_IGP1441.jpg

Off out for a quick shakedown cruise this afternoon and I plan on getting out later in the week, at which point I'll report back on how it rides.

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
I would be interested in the built up weight as well Cracks, when you get a chance to pop it on the scales. Looking really good.

Top Bottom