Kinesis UK- Avoid, Second bike cracked, Poor customer service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s crap luck for you, and very poor from Kinesis. Whilst working to the letter of T&Cs regarding the warranty running from the original purchase date is something I’ve read lots before, it’s certainly doing Kinesis no favours in my opinion.
Having asked a few weeks ago about warranty, and whether anyone paid much attention, this would appear to be one of the reasons for considering them at the very least.
I wouldn’t want to enter into the possibility, however remote, that your experience on 2 occasions is satisfactory for manufacturers to apply.
Good luck with a decent outcome.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sure the OP has a good case but he’d better be prepared for a drawn out battle perhaps. Even if he wins and gets a full refund he’ll have the use he’s had out of it deducted. If he wants a quick resolution I still say pressure Kinesis into the best possible deal on a new frame. Appeal and write directly to their CEO.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you taken legal advice? Perhaps you can access through a workplace employee assistance scheme?

Have you tried emailing the company head?
Why not write him/her a letter, send recorded delivery :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Don't seem to be getting anywhere with them, 2 weeks now and no answer to my emails, FB messages or tweets. Totally crap service from a company that prides itself on UK bikes.

That's because you're not approaching it the correct way. A written letter to their CEO sent Recorded Delivery, copied via e-mail, identifying the issues and your next steps.

Facebook / Twitter / E-mail is easily ignored by whoever happens to see / receive it.

Sad to hear this from a company that I had previously held in good esteem. I’ve had my Kinesis mudguard training bike for getting on for 15 years and touch wood have been really pleased with it. A few years ago they issued a recall notice on the forks, they supplied me with a new set within 2 days of me sending the old ones back, I reckoned for forks that were nearly 10 years old at the time that was pretty good service.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
DC is right you need to approach this as he and others have suggested.. it could be the threat of legal action might spur them into settling this to your advantage with a reasonable offer. Good luck.

CXRAndy

Guru
Showed them proof that they replaced bike with same fault in 2017 but they said the warranty stays with the original purchase in 2016? which is bollocks
That is correct the original purchase date is where the warranty date runs from. You could have had 5 frames and the warranty still expire.

Get it repaired, is it steel or aluminium?

A professional welder will do a good job for little money.

A mate had his titanium frame crack, it cost him £35 for the tig repairs. He did strip the bike down so welder could flood the inside tubes with argon to improve weld penetration.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That square hole looks like the roof window on a de Havilland Comet.
I was thinking that myself.
Wikipedia article said:
Design and construction flaws, including improper and dangerous concentrations of stress around some of the square windows, were ultimately identified.

Also, one of the design defects of the original Liberty Ships of WW2...

Wikipedia article said:
The predominantly welded hull construction allowed small cracks to propagate unimpeded, unlike in a hull made of separate plates riveted together. One common type of crack nucleated at the square corner of a hatch which coincided with a welded seam, both the corner and the weld acting as stress concentrators.

@glasgowjim - contact Kinesis boss and point out the design defect by referring to the two frames failing in the same way as some of those planes and ships?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But why should he have to go through all that? @CXRAndy He’ll also need to respray the frame And may even fail again.
If it were me I’d just want shot of the thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

glasgowjim

Über Member
Have you tried phoning them to follow up, there’s a number on the website
Yes, and both times they said they'll get back to me. Still waiting.

Who writes letters these day's? We have left the 18th century.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wouldn't weld it for five reasons:

1. Skilled welders for Al or Ti are pretty thin on the ground

2. Al frames are often heat treated after factory welding. Even if they're a grade that doesn't require heat treatment, re-welding is likely to overheat and weaken it substantially. The latter applies to Ti as well.

3. A decent repaint with decals is about £200.

4. The original design flaw is still there and it will just crack again.

5. The frame will be worthless after repair. No-one will trust it.

Top Bottom