Kinesis UK- Avoid, Second bike cracked, Poor customer service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just for interest, here's the Comet ADF roof windows. A down tube isn't pressurised, of course, but it is very heavily loaded in tension and in torsion.

Attachments

• Probable-failure-origin-of-service-aircraft-Comet-G-ALYP-stress-distribution-obtained.png
    Probable-failure-origin-of-service-aircraft-Comet-G-ALYP-stress-distribution-obtained.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
G

glasgowjim

Über Member
I wouldn't weld it for five reasons:

1. Skilled welders for Al or Ti are pretty thin on the ground

2. Al frames are often heat treated after factory welding. Even if they're a grade that doesn't require heat treatment, re-welding is likely to overheat and weaken it substantially. The latter applies to Ti as well.

3. A decent repaint with decals is about £200.

4. The original design flaw is still there and it will just crack again.

5. The frame will be worthless after repair. No-one will trust it.

Who would even bother welding an Al frame? A mate had a cracked Ti frame, got the crack repaired by a reputable welder and within 3 months had failed again at the same place.

If a frame breaks then to me it's done. I would never trust riding on it no matter what it's made from.

Kinesis know the frame is faulty, my main point is about letting people know how crap Kinesis UK or Upgrade Bikes are regarding frame warranty and customer service. So when some are choosing a new bike would they choose to buy a Kinesis after reading about them? I know I wouldn't.

Tom B

Guru
Yes, and both times they said they'll get back to me. Still waiting.
Who writes letters these day's? We have left the 18th century.

When it comes to stuff like this, me and lots of other people.

The legal system still works massively on paper. It shows you mean business and are prepared to invest time and effort.
I've been through small claims court process a few times on both sides of the tables.

I would imagine Kinesis would be keen to point out that nobody knows what this frame has been exposed to in its 3years in the wild.

I would approach them again, politely explain that this is not going to go away and that you are prepared to take it to small claims and as such suggest the contact their legal team. Importantly, especially if you haven't already, explain what you want out of it, but be realistic, be prepared to compromise. You're probably not going to see a full refund, you've had 3 years amenity from the bike. As Delboy once said, I'd rather lose a fiver than a tenner.

Who would even bother welding an Al frame? A mate had a cracked Ti frame, got the crack repaired by a reputable welder and within 3 months had failed again at the same place.

If a frame breaks then to me it's done. I would never trust riding on it no matter what it's made from.

Oh dear, we are rather glum about this. An Alu frame has lots of welds out of the factory.

Depending on the reasons and locations of the welds, the reason for the failure and the value / how much I liked the frame i suspect lots of people may consider it

A friend of mine who is a welder/fabricator reckons that a properly done weld is as strong if not stronger than the surrounding material. He works on some pretty critical stuff and admits that even occasionally he makes a duff weld - that's why they get tested.

Kinesis know the frame is faulty, my main point is about letting people know how crap Kinesis UK or Upgrade Bikes are regarding frame warranty and customer service. So when some are choosing a new bike would they choose to buy a Kinesis after reading about them? I know I wouldn't.

Just starts to get a bit bitter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom