Kinetics 8-speed SA fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm now officially confused. Professor google tells me that 7/8 speed chains are 3/32", and the PC-1 is 1/8". I think I can understand how a chain that's too narrow will ride awkwardly on the chain-wheel like that.
3 speed bromptons use 1/8 chains, 6 SPD 3/32s which might have accounted for the confusion.

I'm tempted, having just a 3 speed. The SA kit as well as being cheaper than the alpine or Rohloff also allows you to keep your existing rear triangle, which having paid extra for titanium one, is a definite advantage for me. It must add a bit of weight over a 3 speed hub, but prob not too noticeable. How does it ride and shift?

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
rudimentary skillz iz all you need.
This. I only have rudimentary skills. Good tools, however, are essential. Specifically crank pullers, a chain tool and cable clippers.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
This. I only have rudimentary skills. Good tools, however, are essential. Specifically crank pullers, a chain tool and cable clippers.

I have a chain tool, if you mean a thing for breaking and putting chains back together. I may have cable cutters, but not new ones, but I don't even know what a crank puller is (well, I do now I looked it up on the computer), and I definitely don't have one.

3 speed bromptons use 1/8 chains, 6 SPD 3/32s which might have accounted for the confusion.

I'm tempted, having just a 3 speed. The SA kit as well as being cheaper than the alpine or Rohloff also allows you to keep your existing rear triangle, which having paid extra for titanium one, is a definite advantage for me. It must add a bit of weight over a 3 speed hub, but prob not too noticeable. How does it ride and shift?
From memory, the wheel weighs 1.2kg. It is a very nice smooth changing unit. Since buying the kit just over 18 months ago, the instructions have clearly been improved a bit and it's good to note there's no longer an issue with the folding pedal as ours jammed on the crank when folding and needed quite a bit of force.

OP
OP
srw

srw

I have a chain tool, if you mean a thing for breaking and putting chains back together. I may have cable cutters, but not new ones, but I don't even know what a crank puller is (well, I do now I looked it up on the computer), and I definitely don't have one.
It costs a tenner or so, or you will be able to borrow one from someone.

From memory, the wheel weighs 1.2kg. It is a very nice smooth changing unit. Since buying the kit just over 18 months ago, the instructions have clearly been improved a bit and it's good to note there's no longer an issue with the folding pedal as ours jammed on the crank when folding and needed quite a bit of force.

I've compensated for the extra weight by splashing out on a fancy titanium and carbon rack, and by replacing the saddle bag I was using to carry my Carradice cape with a Carradice cape roll. Neither of which was exactly a bargain, but both of which work extremely well.

I only need to replace the brake levers and grips (and, maybe, the handlebars) to make the conversion complete. Oh, and possibly also get hold of a trailer...

OP
OP
srw

srw

I like those bars, what are they n where from please.
Research elsewhere in the forum suggests they're Tioga. Research on the web suggests they're no longer available.

SJS have got Brompfication titanium bars:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/brompfication-titanium-handlebars-5-deg-254mm-clamp-520mm/
for the very expensive very aggressive look

Or Thorn comfort bars, for something a bit lower than the M-bar, but possibly too wide:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/thorn-mk2-comfort-handlebars-254mm-clamp-620mm-satin-black/

These seem to be narrower:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/humpert-fixie-riser-handlebars-254mm-clamp-500mm-black/

The M-type handlebars appear to be 530mm wide:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/brompton-handlebar-for-m-type-or-h-type-254mm-clamp/

I've just had a thought. We have a pair of butterfly-style multi-position bars in the garage as one of the (rejected) options for Mrs W as the stoker on the tandem. Might be worth a play.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I like those bars, what are they n where from please.

Tioga mountain-bike bars.

brompton-ben8-16.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Tioga mountain-bike bars.

brompton-ben8-16.jpg
Thanks

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I keep toying with putting risers on my S-type. It is a bit too arse up heads down for commuting in traffic.

(Where traffic = 1000's of cyclists, texting and reading social media)

Brompton should have designed the S bar type just an inch or two lower than the M type - they then would have provided the best of all worlds. More practicle with better aesthetics. The fact that so many people feel they need to make them higher proves this.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Brompton should have designed the S bar type just an inch or two lower than the M type - they then would have provided the best of all worlds. More practicle with better aesthetics. The fact that so many people feel they need to make them higher proves this.
I disagree - in my book the S doesn't stand for sporty it stands for short. The M-type bar is high for short people, medium for medium-sized and sporty for tall people.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've been mulling coworns on my S type, its maybe me getting more creaky but an inch or so higher as a <6 footer would be perfect IMHO. They're decent as they are & I never had a concern about them but since getting my Birdy with its adjustable height front stem back up and running, I do notice the joys of a slightly more sit up and beg front end.

I didn't like the M type quite as much as the S when I was buying, as it was a grimy November couple of test rides and I felt too much chest into the wind and rain and too sat up on the little steep bits of my commute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom