King Charles - Classy Guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
From what I have read, he was very pleasant. If I could get the sound to work on my iPad, I’d listen to the interaction :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
From what I have read, he was very pleasant. If I could get the sound to work on my iPad, I’d listen to the interaction :smile:

It wasn't "Get orf moi larnd", more a normal chat about the weather etc 👑

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

Yes indeed, it's worth hearing.

The bottom line here, in this forum, the raison detre for this thread, is that on this occasion he was simply an old boy who stopped for a pleasant chat and a bit of mild banter with some fellow cyclists. No nose in the air snottiness, just a pleasant old feller stopping for a chinwag. I thought it was rather charming.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In the full version the king asks the lads where they are staying, and it turns out he knows the bothy they are using, stayed there himself as a wee nipper and that he actually had it upgraded a couple of years ago.

It seemed to me a genuine meeting of minds across the generations, and both the MTBers and the King were probably the richer for the encounter.

I was thinking there would be some serious lads with G36s or ever AWMs covering the King from afar, but I couldn't see any obvious cover they might use, although they could be all ghillied up.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
By all accounts he's a very nice chap - I bumped into him once (true story - I did literally bump into him, to our mutual amusement) but I don't think that this was a time to play the continuity card as he seems to be doing v-a-v the Monarchy.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Not wishing to drag my own thread off topic, but I BG'd Camilla during a visit to Poshshire (we were blue badged bullet catchers, not red badged gun monkeys, but two the two of us had done the course so got the tasking) many moons ago and she was charm personified. Had a brief chat with usand thanked us, expressed her hope that we hadn't been dragged on rest days, etc. We had, but we're being paid double time so kept our complaints to ourselves.

Having seen a glimpse of her persona that once I expeft she would have been in good form if it had been her that encountered the MTBers. A good bit of bants, as my 12 year old would say.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Leaving this thread open for now to see how it goes.

NCAP content, reference to 'dark side' and reference to anti-monarchist comments already deleted/edited out.

Stay on-topic everyone and the thread will remain open.

Thanks in advance.

Jody

Stubborn git
I was thinking there would be some serious lads with G36s or ever AWMs covering the King from afar, but I couldn't see any obvious cover they might use, although they could be all ghillied up.

They weren't too far away given the Range Rovers sat round the corner but I was surprised he was so far away from protection. Although I suppose being on the Balmoral estate miles away from civilisation would be justification for having a wander.

Nice genuine interaction with the MTBers

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They weren't too far away given the Range Rovers sat round the corner but I was surprised he was so far away from protection. Although I suppose being on the Balmoral estate miles away from civilisation would be justification for having a wander.

Nice genuine interaction with the MTBers

probably just out of camera shot , either that or full ninja camo :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
probably just out of camera shot , either that or full ninja camo :smile:

The full footage from the MTBer cuts just after they ride away from KC and starts again when they reach the Range Rovers. I'm assuming someone maybe had a quick word or they didn't want to include the security detail?

tom73

Guru
As the clip shows he's just a bloke stopping and having a chat with a bunch of other guys who came along. Taking an interest in what they are saying and doing.
Which is just how a good few I know who have met him many who are as hardline anti-monarchist you get found him to be.
All have found him a nice all round bloke who knows his stuff. Who has a genuine understanding of issues normal folk face and solutions needed to fix them.

As for security he's known for just taking him off for walks on his own around one estate or the other. When he need's space to think just like many of us on here do he turns to the outdoors. It's reported at one point as the queen was in the final hours he took himself on his own. When things got time critical his security had to go and fetch him back.

Jody

Stubborn git
As for security he's known for just taking him off for walks on his own around one estate or the other. When he need's space to think just like many of us on here do he turns to the outdoors. It's reported at one point as the queen was in the final hours he took himself on his own. When things got time critical his security had to go and fetch him back.

I wonder if they stuck an Airtag in his walking stick?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s probably the only time he gets off from being King, and a bit of mental down time. Good for him for getting out for a walk in the mountains by himself. It’s likely one of a few things keeping him sane, good for his mental as well as physical health.

I know from friends there are stories of his mother dropping by the bothy, and tales of his father inviting random hill walkers to join him for a bit of the hill BBQs he used to do.

Their life can never be normal, but I do think they crave a bit of the normal everyone interactions we take for granted. This one was filmed, but I’m sure plenty of interactions take place, that aren’t filmed, and remain private.

Top Bottom