****king useless mechanics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

As above, get or borrow a pedal spanner / allen key. Also grease the new threads so that when you stick them on, they're easier to get off next time.

Should observe at this point that the threads were greased when the pedals were fitted, I know this coz I can see it.

Once you've got a pedal spanner you can always try initially shocking it loose with the aid of a Manchester spanner
hammer-smileys-0006_smiliesuche.de.gif

I've done this in the past on older resto bikes with stuck pedals, but TBH I use a rubber mallet as opposed to a metal hammer.

windym

Should observe at this point that the threads were greased when the pedals were fitted, I know this coz I can see it.

So it looks like the mech did know what he was doing, as opposed to the OP who clearly does not. It annoys the life out of me this blame culture we now live in, get yourself the correct tools for the job and stop whinging.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just trying and failing to get the damn pedal off one of my bikes, I've tried allen key, spanner, adjustable spanner, adjustable spanner attached to allen key. Definitely going in the right direction by the way.

Stu
Adjustable spanners are useless on a job that needs any more than minimal force. There's too much play in the jaws, you need a decent pedal or open ended spanner.

hurri

Regular
Once you've got a pedal spanner you can always try initially shocking it loose with the aid of a Manchester spanner
hammer-smileys-0006_smiliesuche.de.gif

I've done this in the past on older resto bikes with stuck pedals, but TBH I use a rubber mallet as opposed to a metal hammer.

Yep, bigger/heavier the hammer the better, so you can deliver a lot of power with not much movement.
If you can, position the spanner and pedal so that the hammer blow goes towards the bottom bracket. Any other orientation will likely not work.
If you don't have a good solid spanner then get it to a local bike shop and pay them...

Drago

Legendary Member
Then a big pile of Kindles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could just line the bike up at the roadside with the crank and pedal resting on the kerb.

No chance, might scratch the crank. :rolleyes:

Your idea is genius. PS my pedals aren't ever that difficult to remove !!! Other than the ones that need an allen key - WTF !

noodle

as i live in the middle of those two places

its tool number one

to the op any 15mm spanner will do even decent adjustables from bacho are not good, and rather than use a hammer/rubber mallet buy a deadblow or recoiless version:thumbsup:

rubber head wont mark the crank and no bounce

Top Bottom