****king useless mechanics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Just trying and failing to get the damn pedal off one of my bikes, I've tried allen key, spanner, adjustable spanner, adjustable spanner attached to allen key. Definitely going in the right direction by the way.

I've reached the conclusion that the duffer at Evans who fitted it might have got it in a bit wrong and de-threaded it so it's stuck.

Any ideas?

Have added Nivea suncream spray (no oil at the mo!) to the mix....

Aaagghh!! I didn't even ask them to fit the pedals, it's a job I'm much happier doing myself.

Thanks

Stu

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I can't get a pedal loose, I put a pile of books under the crank to stop it moving and stand on my pedal spanner - that has never failed me yet!

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

If I can't get a pedal loose, I put a pile of books under the crank to stop it moving and stand on my pedal spanner - that has never failed me yet!

Thanks... it doesn't help that I haven't got a pedal spanner.

I mean I'm not the world's most physical guy, but I'm strong enough and have done the other 3 pedals, but this one isn't budging despite ridiculous amounts of effort.

I really hate the way bike shops assume I'm a fecking imbecile. I mean, I know I am, but that's not the point. They also fitted the TT bars which was something I was particularly looking forward to doing, and had specified they shouldn't!

Broadside

Guru
Just trying and failing to get the damn pedal off one of my bikes, I've tried allen key, spanner, adjustable spanner, adjustable spanner attached to allen key. Definitely going in the right direction by the way.

I've reached the conclusion that the duffer at Evans who fitted it might have got it in a bit wrong and de-threaded it so it's stuck.

Any ideas?

Have added Nivea suncream spray (no oil at the mo!) to the mix....

Aaagghh!! I didn't even ask them to fit the pedals, it's a job I'm much happier doing myself.

Thanks

Stu
I had one like that once on a brand new bike, it must have been done up by a gorrilla in the shop! Go with Colin's suggestion, you have to get the crank absolutely locked in place to remove a stiff pedal. You can find a position on the crank rotation with the spanner in place that requires very little effort to hold the crank with the other hand exactly in place, sorry it's hard to explain much easier to do.

With the crank locked in place I used a long spanner and ended up tapping it with a hammer which was enough to convince the pedal to let go.

screenman

Legendary Member
Let me get this right, you are working with the wrong tools. that is a recipe for disaster. Now if the mech or should we call him/her a dipstick had use a torque wrench you would not have this problem.

nappadang

Über Member
I had a similar problem with a bike I borrowed a while back. Eventually, the curb, a long allan key, releasing oil, two people, a rubber mallet and a good quality pedal spanner did the trick.
What ever you do don't buy a Halfords pedal spanner, it's like a cheap bottle opener and about as much use.

As above, get or borrow a pedal spanner / allen key. Also grease the new threads so that when you stick them on, they're easier to get off next time.

2clepto

why not just take it back to the shop and if they wont do it ask to borrow their pedal spanner and do it in the shop. always brings staff closer to assist ) if theyre not there already.

Top Bottom