Kintyre roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

westcoaster

So, you don't remember any of those horrible climbs on the B842? You must have had plenty of good beer. :biggrin:

Well I do now that you have reminded me but, as I have learned in my few years of touring - there will be hills. So I try not to get fixated on them and if I think too much about uphill climbs it would become too much a dominant memory. So when I think back on a tour then unless there was a particularly brutal climb or series of climbs (out of Ft. Augustus up the east side of Loch Ness or the west coast of Mull e.g.) then I tend to forget them, or at least not let the memory of them spoil the positive aspects of the tour.

We're just recently back from a Gretna to John O'Groats tour (7 X 60 miles/day) and while some of that was a stiff challenge, overall it was a joy. And we did have plenty of good beer.

Kbrook

Veteran
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I have just come back from a 4 day tour of Arran, Kintyre, Islay and Jura. I looked at this thread when doing my planning and nearly missed. Kintyre completely because of worries about the road surface. I can assure anyone planning a visit that the road is now fine, in fact better than fine it's obviously been repaired, there are huge sections of fresh Tarmac, some sections of newly chipped bits and overall better than 90% of the roads I normally ride on. Didn't find the hills bad either do they've obviously flattened them at the same time.

Top Bottom