Kintyre roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wardy

Just back from two weeks in lovely Kintyre and I thought I would comment on the state of the roads there. The B842 up the east coast from Campbeltown to Carradale was in a terrible state, with lots of potholes and many bits which had been temporarily repaired, resulting in a very corrugated surface. I've never seen a road this bad anywhere. The locals said that the road further north, to where it joins the A83 near Kennacraig, was even worse. The A83 down the west coast of the peninsular was not as bad but you still need to watch out for a lot of potholes and corrugations. As usual, when you get to the T-junction at Lochgilphead, the majority of traffic seems to head north, leaving the road down to Campbeltown extremely quiet as far as A-roads are concerned. I can recommend Westbank House, Dell Road, Campbeltown (01586 553660) as a very comfortable and quiet B&B with a superb breakfast. The scenery down either side of the peninsular is just magic, which more than compensates for the road surfaces.

Paladin - York

Sounds as though the roads are worse now than back in - well a couple of years or so ago. Maybe it's just that I didn't notice them because I was trying to maintain my balance in gale force winds and driving rain. At least the weather kept the midges quiet.

Yep - certainly a beautiful area.

ps Depending on your era, I went to see Carradale Beach where Paul McCartney & Wings "did the vid" of the Mull of Kintyre.

shirokazan

Veteran
I went around Kintyre last year and don't remember the roads being that bad - I guess it must have been a hard winter! The B842 was a bit ropey in places, though.

Paladin - I've read in various places, e.g. here, that it was Saddell Bay rather than Carradale Bay. I couldn't see the beach because of the fog but was able to hear the waves lapping against the shore.

Paladin - York

I went around Kintyre last year and don't remember the roads being that bad - I guess it must have been a hard winter! The B842 was a bit ropey in places, though.

Paladin - I've read in various places, e.g. here, that it was Saddell Bay rather than Carradale Bay. I couldn't see the beach because of the fog but was able to hear the waves lapping against the shore.

Aaaaaaaagh! I'll have to go back now.

Thanks for that.

Regards

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

I certainly wouldn't like to take my road bike along the B842 now. On a busier road it would become more of a hazard but thankfully it's usually very quiet with a bit of extra traffic when the Arran ferry comes in at Clonaig. You're right about Saddell Bay. There used to be a nice view of it from the road above but the trees have now grown too much! Been going to Kintyre since the 70's and it's still not lost its magic for me.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Sounds as though the roads are worse now than back in - well a couple of years or so ago. Maybe it's just that I didn't notice them because I was trying to maintain my balance in gale force winds and driving rain. At least the weather kept the midges quiet.
Yep - certainly a beautiful area.
ps Depending on your era, I went to see Carradale Beach where Paul McCartney & Wings "did the vid" of the Mull of Kintyre.
Yes, you certainly don't go there for a mediterranean climate! Didn't think the midges (or midgets as my kids used to say) were as bad this year, despite a lot of wet weather. Mark you, I did try the Vitamin B course beforehand this time so perhaps that helped. I'm glad that few people venture south from Lochgilphead as it usually means the place is quiet, although not so good for the local economy. This year though, I felt that things had brightened up with more shops opened, a cafe reopened and major development on hotels in Campbeltown and Machrihanish.

MoG

Veteran
Yes, you certainly don't go there for a mediterranean climate! Didn't think the midges (or midgets as my kids used to say) were as bad this year, despite a lot of wet weather. Mark you, I did try the Vitamin B course beforehand this time so perhaps that helped. I'm glad that few people venture south from Lochgilphead as it usually means the place is quiet, although not so good for the local economy. This year though, I felt that things had brightened up with more shops opened, a cafe reopened and major development on hotels in Campbeltown and Machrihanish.

Is that the Palm Bistro cafe, by Campbeltown harbour which has re-opened? Looking forward to getting back up to Kintyre in September - am getting married then at The Argyll Hotel at Bellochantuy.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Is that the Palm Bistro cafe, by Campbeltown which has re-opened? Looking forward to getting back up to Kintyre in September - am getting married then at The Argyll Hotel at Bellochantuy.
That's right MoG, it's now called Cafe Bluebell. Nice food, reasonably priced. Swanky toilets now too! Best wishes for your marriage at Bellochantuy. Hope the weather stays good for you - Sept is usually good in Kintyre. Are you getting married at the Argyll Hotel or at the wee church at A-Chleit down the road? Lovely coastline.

MoG

Veteran
That's right MoG, it's now called Cafe Bluebell. Nice food, reasonably priced. Swanky toilets now too! Best wishes for your marriage at Bellochantuy. Hope the weather stays good for you - Sept is usually good in Kintyre. Are you getting married at the Argyll Hotel or at the wee church at A-Chleit down the road? Lovely coastline.

Cheers Wardy,

Getting married on the beach (weather permitting) right outside the hotel - if its raining, then we will be getting married in the hotel conservatory instead. Up in the area for a week, so will need to check the new cafe out!

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Cheers Wardy,

Getting married on the beach (weather permitting) right outside the hotel - if its raining, then we will be getting married in the hotel conservatory instead. Up in the area for a week, so will need to check the new cafe out!
Sounds lovely MoG - hope some of the Kintyre magic visits you all. There's a new (don't know how new) cafe at the Ghigha ferry terminal at Tayinloan now. There are three hotels in Campbeltown where you can get a good meal the Ardshiel probably the best of the bunch. The nice restaurant (now licensed) at Southend is still there too and doing well.

MoG

Veteran
Sounds lovely MoG - hope some of the Kintyre magic visits you all. There's a new (don't know how new) cafe at the Ghigha ferry terminal at Tayinloan now. There are three hotels in Campbeltown where you can get a good meal the Ardshiel probably the best of the bunch. The nice restaurant (now licensed) at Southend is still there too and doing well.

Its a lovely little cafe at the Ghigha terminal, it least it was last August! Folks keep a mobile home at Tayinloan, its a real beautiful area, but unfortunately being based in Nottinghamshire, its just too far away to get to regularly.

Plodder335

My father was from Campbeltown and consequently I spent many a happy family holiday there when I was (much) younger. It is a beautiful part of the country and is much underrate (under-visited) but that is probably why it stays beautiful.

I played my first round of golf at Machrihanish, which is just up the road.........happy days and memories.

Ian

frank9755

Cyclist
I did an audax recently that included a lap of Kintyre. It was a glorious weekend at the beginning of July and the highlight was the road down the east coast of the peninsula. Apparently this is the 'Long and Winding Road' of the Beatles song. It continually twists and undulates and I could not resist going flat out on it. I can't recall having ridden a better cycling road anywhere in the UK.

I remember some patches of worn tarmac but I wouldn't say it was worse than, say, the roads in the Chilterns.

westcoaster

Just over a month ago we went to Gigha from Dunoon and then south to Campbeltown and up to Carradale fully loaded for cycle camping. After Carradale we went up to Claonaig and over to Arran. I can honestly say I do not remember the state of the roads, I can only remember beautiful scenery, good campsites and plenty of good beer. The midges were mercifully absent as well.

Top Bottom