Single track roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I seem to be due an income tax rebate of £280 but they cannot send it to me as they do not have enough information. Just follow the link and all will be cleared. Aye right. Unfortunately a finger seems to have slipped on to the delete option.:becool:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I seem to be due an income tax rebate of £280 but they cannot send it to me as they do not have enough information. Just follow the link and all will be cleared. Aye right. Unfortunately a finger seems to have slipped on to the delete option.:becool:

A rebate on single track road usage. Fantastic

Reactions: mjr

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Amazes me how many car drivers will drive into a bit of single track you are already on. Rather than wait in the passing space their end. Where are they expecting you to magically go when they take up the full width of the same section?
On our recent LEJOG we did a lot of miles on single tracks, particularly in the N of Scotland. We did remark how exemplary the driving manners of the locals were re passing places where they would often pull in several hundred metres ahead and patiently wait for us to pass. Come to think of it, same on the single tracks on the Somerset Levels and the tiny lanes around Cornwall and Devon. Maybe it helped that we were outside main holiday season so these were locals and used to the niceties of single track roads

Come to think of it, same on the single tracks on the Somerset Levels and the tiny lanes around Cornwall and Devon. Maybe it helped that we were outside main holiday season so these were locals and used to the niceties of single track roads

Yep. On my... er, GlosLE the other week (Gloucester–Land’s End), I noticed a real difference on the Cornish lanes between locals and grockles.

When I heard a car approaching from behind, I'd usually beckon it past just in advance of the next passing place. Locals in bashed-up Fiestas/white vans/etc. invariably gave an appreciative wave or flash of the blinkers and proceeded past steadily.

Grockles in shiny Audis loaded up with holiday kit? Barely a wave - ok, bit rude, but I can live with that. But they came past so slowly. Seriously, I don't mind slowing down for you, but I'm not unclipping and stopping just so that your over-wide bourgemobile can inch past at 4mph. Gah.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Despite my general dislike of the tourist industry and the avalanche we have had this year I seldom find that happening here. I just hold my position on the road and keep going so they have to back up if necessary.
On my recent trip to the mainland east of Oban I was surprised at the courtesy of 99% of drivers on the single track roads I used.
That's kinda weird and comes across as unnecessarily obstinate. Even on single tracks, a car and a bike can pass if the bike stops and pulls over. Lots of holidaymakers aren't used to driving on single tracks so why not cut them some slack instead of forcing them to back up unnecessarily.

Of course you can say that you're within your rights to do so. But why be an arse about it?

I used to live in North Wales and drove on a lot of single track road - not a big tourist area so it was mostly locals that knew about these roads
But I got used to them and got into the habits you need to drive on them - such as having a mental note of the last passing place you passed

Then we went to SOuth Wales on holiday - to an area with a lot of single track roads and a lot of tourists - like us
the driving standards were massively different
actually came across a couple who stopped and insisted on us backing up - even when I told them the next passing place behind us was round 3 sharp corners and up a steep hill - the one behind them was in sight and less that 100 yards away!!
we ended up reversing otherwise we would still be there now!!!
I hate to think how that couple would deal with a cyclist!

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's kinda weird and comes across as unnecessarily obstinate. Even on single tracks, a car and a bike can pass if the bike stops and pulls over. Lots of holidaymakers aren't used to driving on single tracks so why not cut them some slack instead of forcing them to back up unnecessarily.

Of course you can say that you're within your rights to do so. But why be an arse about it?
Very simple reason. I am not on a bike but a trike because I cannot walk far and cannot cycle for balance reasons. There is not enough room and not always safe to go into a ditch. They should see that.
I do not give a hoot about holiday makers on single track roads . They should drive according to the conditions we have to put up with every day.

Very simple reason. I am not on a bike but a trike because I cannot walk far and cannot cycle for balance reasons. There is not enough room and not always safe to go into a ditch. They should see that.
good point oldhweels though you should really have said to avoid confusion.

Tis true SOME drivers are nits - cycling in the dales last year I came across a large campervan in a narrow lane coming the other way - hard for me to get past - behind me was a car and it looked like a severe jam was going to take place - I had the idea that the campervan driver wasn't up to backing to a passing place and the car may have had trouble because of stuff behind them. The campervan should never have gone down the lane in the first place.

Alex321

Veteran
Yebbut, motorists see a trike and fear the "idiot driver injures paralympian" headlines in the local rag (I know not all tricyclists qualify for a blue badge but I still suspect some motorists think they do).

Some passing places here are tarmac, more are gravel, motorists seldom use either if they think they can get away with bullying oncoming traffic, whether bike or car. I suspect they would still pause for most trikes.
All the ones round here are just a wider bit of road.

It surprises me how many oncoming cars will pull into one for me, even when there is enough road width for them plus me. And so far, a large majority of drivers have waved thanks when I have pulled in to one when they are behind me.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Took the car out of town and up one of our single track roads as I fancied a different walk today up a forestry track up the road a bit. Coming back home and downhill I spied a cyclist coming up so pulled over and waited for him to get a clear run. He was doing a nice steady pace going up anyway.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
One of my regular routes is a single track with minimal passing places, in fact there is a stretch of about a mile with quite high banks either side. It depends on the driver, if it's someone who's shot up at top speed, I'm more inclined to stop and lean over to let them get past, mostly though, they seem fine just hanging on until I can pull to the side safely.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
All the ones round here are just a wider bit of road.

It surprises me how many oncoming cars will pull into one for me, even when there is enough road width for them plus me. And so far, a large majority of drivers have waved thanks when I have pulled in to one when they are behind me.
I have also found the majority of drivers are ok with stopping for my trike and I always pull into the nearest passing place even well in advance. Most of the traffic I meet on a regular basis is local and know me. They always toot or wave or else a flash of hazard lights.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Took the car out of town and up one of our single track roads as I fancied a different walk today up a forestry track up the road a bit. Coming back home and downhill I spied a cyclist coming up so pulled over and waited for him to get a clear run. He was doing a nice steady pace going up anyway.
Vehicles coming uphill have priority anyway but it is good when you can get a clear run up on a bike. Getting started again if you have to stop can be a problem particularly if laden with camping gear.:sad:

Top Bottom