1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kirk frame - who remembers?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by 02GF74, 11 Jan 2008.

1. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

Who remembers them? Came out in 90s, magnesium alloy frame, elevated seat stays, best picture I could find iis this:

1638_1.JPG

2. ransos

ransos Usual suspect

I remember that they used to break with depressing monotony. Still, good news for anyone who still has one, as by definition it will have rarity value...

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I think the one who calls himself Simon L & 1/2 knows of such a a beast in road trim...

4. andygates

andygates New Member

I had one! Back in the late 90s, a purple jobbie set up as a slicked-up fast street MTB. Which it was pretty rubbish at, really, the little alu stiffener in the BB casting had gone (as they do) and there was a lorra lorra flex.

Beautiful to look at though. It was called Dr Zarkov :eek:

Alas, it got nicked around '99 from central Bristol (possibly sabotaged - it was during the first fool, er, fuel protests and I had a huge hippy flag on the back while it was parked outside work). If anyone's seen a purple Kirk with Red Hat stickers on it, it's mine!

5. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

6. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

I have two of these, one grey mtb and a purple jobbie.

I'm waiting for everyone else to break theirs so I end up with the sole survivors of the marque.:biggrin:

7. shooter560

shooter560 New Member

I had the first white racer frame in East Anglia, when they were released, after a few weeks I lent it to a mate to have a try as he fancied one, unfortunately it was stolen from his shed that night and he wasn't insured. Always wished I'd replaced it and sometimes now wish I had one, really loved its looks, individuality and personally I found it a nice bike to race on.

8. OP
    OP
    02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

never had one but seem to recall these frames were meant to be the future of biking at a teim when aluminium frames were appearing since magnesium is light and strong and in plentiful supply in the sea, albeit in a dissolved form.

9. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

They come up on Ebay from time to time. Never ridden one, but I think I'd like to. They had a thing on Tomorrows World about them, where they drove over one without damaging it. And I think they were used in the TdF one year.

10. ransos

ransos Usual suspect

No-one I knew managed to ride one without damaging it, let alone drive over it...