Kitting out a van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Anyone turned a van into a camper style van ?
I have a Movaaaaaano , medium wheel base high roof ( I think ) I'm thinking of converting for summer jaunts .
I have a few bits from my boat that can be used but a few ideas and tips would be good . I imagine condensation will be a big issue so any ideas on that would be good .
Fanks .

colly

Re member eR
Might be helpful :

http://www.vanwindows.co.uk/

I've done some work on conversions that have used windows from these people and they are the business.:thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
I pondering the possibility of kitting a Reliant Regal Supervan into a luxury camper. Cushtie ain't it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Knitting a van...

A4FD2035-AF9C-0A1F-37F51528E7DD821B.jpg

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
My dad had a Transit Custom (Mk2) that had been turned in to a camper van by a previous owner. Top tip, don't use actual kitchen cabinets and parquet flooring if you want to also have weight capacity left to carry any people or luggage. Also, if you go that way, a 2l automatic pinto will give atrocious mileage. The front seats were cool though, captains chairs with foldable arms that spun 180 degrees so you could sit at the table in the back in them.

ayceejay

Guru
Tiny beat me too it. I had VW van and I stuck carpet on the walls and ceiling - I was living in Amsterdam at the time! It cut down on the noise and the condensation for a while but damp carpet is not my favourite smell.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
We spent a weekend sleeping in the back of a Luton. We had it to have it to carry the stargate anyway so it seemed easier than setting up a tent. We used black out curtain to make a boudoir in the back and then camp beds and sleeping bags. Had a camp stove set up by the tail lift. Perfectly comfortable in the south in late May.

From experience, motorhomes make poor every day transport. Especially if you're doing lots of driving. Camping in them for any length of time is an odd experience because you spend a lot of time changing them between home and transport every day and are guaranteed to miss something on a side/shelf at least every other day before you set off.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above 3 posts have said.

Yes you can make a doss van for an odd night instead of tenting etc "me and a mate used to use a van for carp fishing instead of bivies..but a campervan is expensive for a reason.
lot of aggro to create something good

Saluki

World class procrastinator
There is the camping, caravanning and motorhome show coming up next week. Clicky
17th - 22nd at the NEC. We are going to take a wander up on the Sunday, we wanted to go the Tuesday but work got in the way of proper life :sad:

It might be worth a look see for ideas. Also there will be loads of stands there with kit and advice for the very thing that you are doing.
We are going as we want ideas for our tiny kitchen in our tiny caravan. Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well yes , of course I was trying to make it sound posh but I was planning to just doss in the back of the van :laugh: It wouldn't hurt to make it a bit nice though .

Top Bottom