KMC EPT chain - Avoid!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Back in the spring I looked at the chain of my hard working winter commuter and decided it was time for a new one. Because it had been so wet and I often dont feel like doing anything to the bike when I get home in the dark and cold & wet I decided on a chain with a rust-resistant coating.
KMC X9 EPT dully purchased and fitted.
Of course then the weather looked up and that bike was little used though the spring & summer.
Come the darker nights and it was time to check if all was well - amongst other tasks I stripped the factory grease from the chain & added it to my hot wax treatment schedule (every 200-300km - more frequently if wet)
Just over a week ago (with less than 1000km on the bike since the new chain) I broke a link just as I was starting on my homeward journey. Ah well - I guess these things happen. Removed the broken bits (outer plate only) and swopped in a 10 speed chain as a temporary measure while I waited for postie to deliver a new 9 speed quick link.

Went to fit the new quick link today - ran the chain through to see, just out of curiosity how close were the two quick links to each other and spotted what looked like a crack in another (ordinary) link, and then another, and another.
Let's just say I'll not be buying another one of these:

20231111_114053[1].jpg

newts

Veteran
Is it a genuine KMC chain, there's been alot of fakes selling on major sites for a couple of years?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Where did you buy your chain from? There seems to be an awful lot of fake kmc gear about on the popular discount sites. I've been a victim of it, as have others in the forum. Chains that usually last 1500 miles of all weather use suddenly pass 0.75% wear at only 400 miles, etc. I've resorted to paying a little more and only buying chains and other consumables from known, trustworthy suppliers (Spa Cycles :okay:) and haven't had any troubles since.

I would email Wiggle, they look to have been duped by their supplier. If it's a genuine chain, it shouldn't have so many failed plates & should be replaced/refunded😲

Agree.
It's only fair to alert the seller and manufacturer and give them the chance to rectify the situation before badmouthing them publicly.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Chain has been returned to Wiggle

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
No evidence of any investigation or other feedback from Wiggle - but they have now refunded the full purchase price.
I guess we will never know if it was a counterfeit got into their supply chain, or whether it was bad batch or that I'm just so powerful that I can tear chains apart with the force exerted in my daily commute.^_^

newts

Veteran
No evidence of any investigation or other feedback from Wiggle - but they have now refunded the full purchase price.
I guess we will never know if it was a counterfeit got into their supply chain, or whether it was bad batch
or that I'm just so powerful that I can tear chains apart with the force exerted in my daily commute.^_^

Just hang onto the last bit:bicycle:

Top Bottom