Kmc quick link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I didn't even know they did a non-reusable one tbh. Not that I've ever purchased one but all my other chains had re-usable ones as standard.

Thanks all for all the comments though much appreciated :okay:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Believe the 11spd ones are marked as 1 use only*.... They're certainly a bugger to take off without the link pliers.

* I've re-used them a number of times with no apparent ill effects..... YMMV.

[QUOTE 4866923, member: 9609"]here is one at 1.54% (1500mile) wear that I have just took off this morning, it will have been on and off a dozen times and it still has a click strong enough not to allow me to join it using my fingers. It will be going back.

comparing with an unused link (don't know the diff between 6L & 5L is ?)
View attachment 360353 View attachment 360354

notice the polished area on the pin where the wear takes place, but the most noticable wear is on the side plate.
View attachment 360352 [/QUOTE]
Thanks
They wear of course just like any other link in a chain and wear doesn't affect their retention, only repeated fitting and removal without lateral compression.

I would certainly say that the used link has suffered some damage at the pinch section compared to the new link. Unfortunately the photo is blurry just at the critical point.

The wear on the side plate is why I laugh off PTFE coated chains. In that region PTFE wears off within kilometers.

migrantwing

Veteran
I have two KMC 10 speed links that look very different, and one generic cheapo Chinese 10 speed link.
#1 KMC link has CL559R stamped on it at one end and KMC at the other.
#2 KMC link has CL559R stamped on it at one end and KMC- 8J stamped at the other end. It is also, as the OP states, a lot tighter than the other link.
I think the 8J link is the newer one that came in the box with a new chain.
I'll get photos to show the differences.

Last edited:

migrantwing

Veteran
Obvious differences.

2019-07-07-14-54-49.jpg

2old2care

Über Member
[QUOTE 4866923, member: 9609"]here is one at 1.54% (1500mile) wear that I have just took off this morning, it will have been on and off a dozen times and it still has a click strong enough not to allow me to join it using my fingers. It will be going back.

comparing with an unused link (don't know the diff between 6L & 5L is ?)
View attachment 360353 View attachment 360354

notice the polished area on the pin where the wear takes place, but the most noticable wear is on the side plate.
View attachment 360352 [/QUOTE]
These are photo's of KMC's non re usable quick links as shown on their website.
https://www.kmcchain.com/en/series/chain-connector-12s-11s-10s-9s-8s-7s-6s-speed
The notch on the back of the link and the corresponding indentation on the front indicate this.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Interesting that they quote "3-5 times" for their re-usable links.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Interesting that they quote "3-5 times" for their re-usable links.
Well reasonably, a reusable link will only be used that many times: once to fit, a few times to remove chain to clean (for those that clean their chains that way - I do so about 3 times in a chain's 3000 mile life); and that's it. New chain: new reusable link, and repeat.
I opine that (based my experience of sorting out others' chain failures by the road/at the pub) the chances of a Shimano (or other) chain joined in the age-old manner of forcing a pin back in has a much higher chance of failure than using a 'quick link'.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have just replaced my chain ready for PBP. The KMC leaflet with the chain (and link) says: "Caution: Suggest to replace a new Missing Link when it is worn or after locking and unlocking 3 times."

Top Bottom