Knee injure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

griffin303

I have 2 question's that i would like some advice on, the first one is has anyone ever had acl reconstruction, and if so how long did it take before you could ride a moving bike (not a stationary bike that you have down the gym). The 2nd question is i am very keen on getting a bike to a help me regain my fitnees in my knee and would like to join a cycle club that is based round the Plymouth area, does anyone know of any clubs in that area which i could join ?. Plus i know you get this question a lot but any advice on which bike ie hybird/mountain is best for value for money around £300-£400 + equipment. Any usefully answers to any of the above question would be a great help.

longers

Legendary Member
Hi Griffin, it looks like these folk on here know a bit about ACL's from first hand experience.

I'd reckon on asking your which club question and your which bike question separately on here as well. They're three very different questions and people won't mind answering them if they see them in the suitable areas of the forum.

Goffins

griffin303 said:
I have 2 question's that i would like some advice on, the first one is has anyone ever had acl reconstruction, and if so how long did it take before you could ride a moving bike (not a stationary bike that you have down the gym). The 2nd question is i am very keen on getting a bike to a help me regain my fitnees in my knee and would like to join a cycle club that is based round the Plymouth area, does anyone know of any clubs in that area which i could join ?. Plus i know you get this question a lot but any advice on which bike ie hybird/mountain is best for value for money around £300-£400 + equipment. Any usefully answers to any of the above question would be a great help.

There are a number of variables that will go some way to deciding your recovery rate.

1.) Condition of supporting muscles around the knee prior to the op

2.) Extra damage within the knee caused by the ACL snap {torn cart ect}

3.) Method of graft and quality of surgeon

My physio said 5 weeks before riding a non stationary bike, this was after seeing my flex of over 110 at week 2, she put my on an exercise bike the same day. I found I was able to ride an actual bike on the 3rd week, I think they advise against it not because of the damage of the act of cycling but through frea of what you'll do to the knee if you come off.

Just physio whenever you can, even the basic leg raises can be done standing in a shopping queue, you might look like a weirdo but so what:smile:

If you've not had the surgery yet start cycling NOW, don't put it off till after the op otherwise you'll probably looking at months {2 maybe more} before you can ride.

OP
OP
G

griffin303

Goffins said:
There are a number of variables that will go some way to deciding your recovery rate.

1.) Condition of supporting muscles around the knee prior to the op

2.) Extra damage within the knee caused by the ACL snap {torn cart ect}

3.) Method of graft and quality of surgeon

My physio said 5 weeks before riding a non stationary bike, this was after seeing my flex of over 110 at week 2, she put my on an exercise bike the same day. I found I was able to ride an actual bike on the 3rd week, I think they advise against it not because of the damage of the act of cycling but through frea of what you'll do to the knee if you come off.

Just physio whenever you can, even the basic leg raises can be done standing in a shopping queue, you might look like a weirdo but so what:smile:

If you've not had the surgery yet start cycling NOW, don't put it off till after the op otherwise you'll probably looking at months {2 maybe more} before you can ride.

I am 9 weeks post op and started rehab about 3 weeks ago, i am using a stationary bike doing roughly 20 -25 mins a day during my rehab + other exercise aswell. Thanks for the advice will have another chat with my physio next week

Top Bottom