Knee pain above knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardcochrane

Hi guys, I just wanted to run this by anyone else incase they’ve experienced the same I was on a club run last night at from this cycle I developed a bruise like pain on my right knee not directly on the knee more so on the actual skin muscle part of it but more to the inside rather than outer area this doesn’t feel massively sore it basically feels like a bruise in the area anybody experienced this before or what is the linked to? Or is it simply tightness in muscles

vickster

Legendary Member
Is your saddle the right height?
Muscle strain? Tendinitis?
Do you stretch? Use a foam roller?
Stick an ice pack on it?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The OPs description is the sort of pain I'd get if the saddle wasn't high enough.

Shack

Has anything changed, the fact it's on a club run suggests a regular outing, go over the bike and recheck things like seatpost/ ht as already mentions but also clear position and tightness etc it your clipped and slightly out on one side you might be compensating unconsciously and this might cause a strain?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has anything changed

This....

If not, maybe rest. Non-cycling activities can also make bits painful. More walking, worn out walking shoes when walking (me)..... too tight laces on other shoes...me also...:whistle:

No changes to my bikes,bike shoes or now't. Worn out walking shoes, only 6 months old.... (I've walked more since lockdown). IDIOT ME !

Hi guys, I just wanted to run this by anyone else incase they’ve experienced the same I was on a club run last night at from this cycle I developed a bruise like pain on my right knee not directly on the knee more so on the actual skin muscle part of it but more to the inside rather than outer area this doesn’t feel massively sore it basically feels like a bruise in the area anybody experienced this before or what is the linked to? Or is it simply tightness in muscles

Can be a variety of things.

I had a similar issue: pain above the knee ("vastus medialis" is the name of the muscle) but just on the right side.

If it's just on one side, it means there are asymmetries in your body, which is quite normal. According to a bike fitter I went to, my issue was from the fact that my right ankle was less flexible than my left, leading my right knee to "cave in" when I was pedalling down. In my case there were a few options that were discussed:
- cleats position
- shoes insoles
- pedals with longer axle

Any of those things, or a combination of them, can potentially solve your asymmetry issue too.

Top Bottom