Knee pain cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
In the past 2 months I've had some fairly mild pain in my left knee, usually brought on after cycling more intensely. It happens pretty much every ride I go alone and either try to keep the pace up or use Strava like interval training, when I go out with family much slower its never an issue. My saddle height is also plenty high, heel to pedal method plus a touch.

It did start roughly around the time I changed my flat pedals - from some small caged commuter/mtb pedals to some wide super-grippy (MG-1s). I'm actually wondering if their grippiness is preventing my feet from rotating and so twisting my knee a little instead - with my rubber soled shoes i even have to lift my foot off fully to slide it back/forth to adjust position. Is this likely?

I used to get knee pain a bit when I started cycling, because Id grind a big gear like a leg press so it went away when I conciously geared down. I think my cadence was about 50, now its always hovering around 75 and when im going for Strava sections usually about 90-95 but in a higher gear. Im a heavy guy at about 115kg 18.5stone, so I also wonder if im putting more force on the pedals and hence my joints than most.

I also run, but Ive not had any problems with that, I didnt run at all in August and it made no difference, im back to 3-4 runs a week now and again no difference to the knee problem.

Top Bottom