Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

+1 for looking for the cause.

Knee pain is not something to be tolerated for longer than is necessary.

It may be worth going to a physio or an osteopath (really!).

I put up with knee pain for years before a physio identified the cause in about two minutes and gave me a bizarre exercise regime. 14 years later I have hardly had a reccurrence of what used to be agonising for all the cold months every year.

I agree also with the answers suggesting that you make tiny changes to the set up at any one time. That way you can gauge what works.

Something as simple as whether your cleats are on the inside or outside edge of their mounting can make a difference.

Likewise float... Some people get far fewer knee niggles with almost no float.

Good luck with sorting it.... but it isn't hurting because it wants you to rub some cream on it every now and then.

OP
OP
David_widnes

David_widnes

Veteran
All the clues are falling into place now

1 new bike ,had a fitting session at Specialized though so im confident im in the right riding position now not sure about all those years before it on my other bikes.

2 just changed shoes all feels good though and cleats are set right

3 weight might be a bit heavy at 17 stone +

4 not getting any younger will be 50 this time next year

5 Ex Rugby player so might be general wear and tear of my knee

thanks for your help i will give all the tips a go and will try some glucosamine.

cheers

gmac190

Über Member
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good pain relief cream/ointment?

I seem to have developed a pain directly underneath my kneecap and i wouldn't have a clue what type of ointment or cream to buy to relieve it.

cheers

Hry there,

I was suffering from a sore knee cap as well. My bike was set up properly and eventually I went to see the phsyio and low and behold it was a problem coming from my hip, it was all to do with posture and was given exercises which have helped loads.

It's sometimes not just as simple as it seems.

mummra

Über Member
I'm in the process of getting referred back to my GP from the physio. GP thought I had a weak muscle which the physio gave me some exercises for. Unfortunately they made it worse. Physio thinks I've bruised the underside of my kneecap. Not cycling related as this started long before I got back on the bike. Wish I visited my GP earlier though.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Had a lazy PJ day yesterday to recover from Sundays ride, back to work today & on the drive there my knee was aching, an hour later it gave way completley! I was taken to see our lovely school bnurse who made me lie down & iced it, 30 mins later the swelling had gone down & she starpped it up - she thinks I may have strained the tendons/ligaments & has said i shouldn't do anything to strenuous on it for a few days.. Bugger :sad:

Top Bottom