Knee problems...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
My left knee is currently killing me. I fell off the MTB over a month ago, landing on my knee and the bar end on the left side. Not fast, but the weight of me plus bike did mean it took a bit of a beating. I felt OK for the rest of the ride, and over the next few days it was sore, but no more that you would expect from an off.

As I said, this was just over a month ago, and since then (well, since the 9th Sept) Ive been taking part in something called the 5x50 Challenge, which is run\ride\walk\swim\whatever for at least 5k each day for 50 days. The first 7 days I ran 6-7k per day, the next 7 I rode 20ish k per day, then swapped it about until now. I know it's not a massive challenge, but its gives me the drive to get out each day and do something.

Thing is, my knee has been killing me since day 1, not that I've told anyone. When I'm running or riding, its fine and I dont notice any pain or restriction of movement at all - apart from an icey old feeling for the first 10 mins or so. The problems really start about an hour after I finish. The knee gets sore, feels swollen (although doesnt look it) and gives me a sharp pain if I try to kneel down or walk up/down stairs. It's making it hard to do everyday things like bath the kids, play cars on the floor with them. Even getting up off the sofa after watching an hour long TV show is maing me whince.

Thing is, I know I should drop out of this 5x50 as I'm doing myself no favours. Ive got a 10k run coming up in a few weeks time that I want to do (was planning to do it a part of the 5x50), but I know that if I dont quit now I wont be able to do it (I'm holding out hope that if I stop the 5x50 I will heal in time for the 10k)

I think, what I need, is some validation from a faceless online community that I DO need to stop and give myself some rest time to get my knee better.

Your, very depressed, LF.

vickster

Legendary Member
I injured my knee 3 years ago coming off a bike, countless physio sessions, 2 operations...it still isn't right as I tore the meniscus and knocked a chunk of cartilage off my thigh bone among other things

I would rest it, ice it, and probably see a doctor...assuming you are not 80, you've got to wear that knee for a long time yet...my twopenneth

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Thanks Vickster, I know its the right thing to do...

Now to find some different exercise to keep me going whilst the knee if being rested. Upper body perfection here I come :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
You might be ok with cycling but I certainly wouldn't run, horrid for bad knees

Good luck :smile:

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
You might be ok with cycling but I certainly wouldn't run, horrid for bad knees

Good luck :smile:

It actually feels worse after a ride than a run (and this is in pancake flat Essex!), so I'll give the bike a rest for a while too I think.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Well, I've managed NOT to go out and ride or run today. It was hard, I almost had to physically stop myself going out! I feel like a junkie going cold turkey...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Sounds a bit like patella femoral syndrome, which I get a lot. I have started running with a knee strap, which I think helps.
MU99V.jpg

Otherwise the only other thing I can really recommend is seeing a physio. They usually sort it out by giving you ultrasound, sports massages and strengthening exercises to do. Seeing them privately tends to rack up the cost because it usually takes a few visits before you are sorted out.

If you are running, check that your trainers are right for you. A lot of runners over-pronate, so you may need trainers with some arch support. Good running shops such as Sweatshop usually advise you.

Some people swear by foam rollers to massage their over-tight ITBs, which contribute to the problem.

defy-one

I injured my knee 3 years ago coming off a bike, countless physio sessions, 2 operations...it still isn't right as I tore the meniscus and knocked a chunk of cartilage off my thigh bone among other things

I would rest it, ice it, and probably see a doctor...assuming you are not 80, you've got to wear that knee for a long time yet...my twopenneth
Listen to vicky!!!

Top Bottom