Knee replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marvick

Hi
After years of knee pain I have now been told I need a knee replacement. Has anyone had a replacement and is cycling still possible.
The only time I don't have pain now is during and after cycling. Its walking that causes the pain through arthritis. If I can avoid surgury I will but if anyone can asure me that knee replacement does not cause too many problems I will go for it.

Any advice gratefully excepted.;)

postman

Legendary Member
Seen this is your first post.Welcome and what a post a cyclist with a knee prob.Hope all goes well.Keep posting and enjoy yourself.We are not a bad little bunch of people.

OP
OP
M

marvick

Thanks. I don't know if you really are a postman but I am myself. 25 years of walking and driving. Probably why my knees are shot!

Fiona N

Veteran
A cycling friend of mine had both knees done a few years ago (mainly, I suspect, after 'wear and tear' due to skiing damage) and it hasn't been a great experience for him as he still has difficulty bending the joints enough to pedal (he's tried shortened cranks and whatnot). But I think he may have been unlucky as another guy I know of had his knees done around the same time and was back on the bike within 12 months - but he had another surgeon.
I think this may be one of those times when some prior research on your proposed surgeon/hospital + physio would be worthwhile. Find a team that does hundreds and has a good success rate.

postman

Legendary Member
Yes 34 years.Eleven on the walks and twenty three as a PHG .Never mind this opg stuff.Took the cash two years ago and ran.Retired now a house husband.Miss the lads and lasses but do not miss the rules and crap of the mail.Job going to the dogs what i hear.Never mind the top brass will get their bonus.When everything has been given away.

Top Bottom