Knee swelling without pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last couple of rides Ive done have been pretty hard training sessions and without changing my cleats or my saddle Ive got a painless swelling over my left knee which feels almost like some kind of fluid accumulation.
Not sure if I should just rest it or its a sign of something more serious.
any suggestions?

Fiona N

Veteran
Can't help with the cause - although if you've suddenly upped your efforts, muscles imbalances could be affecting the knee alignment - this maynot cause pain initially but you need to watch it. But have you tried icing the knees after exercise? This is a tried and tested method of reducing inflammation - ice cubes and water (which stops you freezing the skin) in a plastic bag sat on the knee for 20 mins usually does the trick.

byegad

Legendary Member
Stop riding until it goes down. Then ride again, if it comes back take it to the Doctor while still swollen up.

Fiona N said:
Can't help with the cause - although if you've suddenly upped your efforts, muscles imbalances could be affecting the knee alignment - this maynot cause pain initially but you need to watch it. But have you tried icing the knees after exercise? This is a tried and tested method of reducing inflammation - ice cubes and water (which stops you freezing the skin) in a plastic bag sat on the knee for 20 mins usually does the trick.
Yeah ive been using the old frozen pea trick and a tea towel which works quite well, if it does come up again I will take myself to the doctor and take my knee with me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will be lucky to get to a doctor in time with the swollen knee - might have to go out at 6am, hammer it for an hour or two, then phone up bang on 8.30 for an emergency appointment.... then you might just get one that day.......

I might just have to do that, I am suffering the effects of sleep deprivation now as my first kid was born last week, I am managing to get out for a couple of hours early morning so I could do that and then get some kip in the doctors waiting room ;-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
jez smith said:
I might just have to do that, I am suffering the effects of sleep deprivation now as my first kid was born last week, I am managing to get out for a couple of hours early morning so I could do that and then get some kip in the doctors waiting room ;-)

Ah.....been there twice.........hard work isn't it...PS Congrats....another cyclist in the making !!!

It is all hard work but its just so fantastic I don't care about that.
And being able to keep up the cycling as well when I can is amazing.
If you want to see something which will be pant wettingly funny on Sunday watch this space, I cannot say what it is yet because it will spoil the surprise.

Top Bottom