Knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
When I first got my bike (Kona Dew) about 8 months ago, my lower back would get sore. So, I adjusted the seat and handlebars a bit, and that went away ... to be replaced by my neck hurting. Cue further adjustments - seat raised, handlebars lowered, and for the last two weeks or so I've been fine.

However, now my knees are starting to hurt :wahhey: In fact they feel a little sore all the time the last few days and I haven't ridden since 6pm yesterday.

Now could this be riding position related, I use regular flat pedals, or could it just be pushing it too hard riding style, or just inneffective stretching before and after riding - must admit I don't do much stretching, but then I only ride about 50-60 miles a week at the mo. Interestingly I'm finding going for a ride tends to make them feel better while I'm riding, so could it just be the stretching?

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I'm afraid I don't know what 'free float' is - good thing I posted this in the beginner's forum!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you're riding with flats you already have 100% free float!

Where is the knee pain? Any swelling?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My knees hurt when I returned to cycling, then I raised my saddle height and after a while the pain went away. I don't know if it was the raised saddle height or just the fact that my knees got stronger. This last month though my knee pain has returned following the replacement of my saddle, which I think I may have inadvertently set a bit lower than the last one. Anyway I'm gradually raising it again to see if that helps.

Maybe whatever you're doing to put that smile on your Avatar is not helping your knees either :wahhey:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
It's not really pain, they just feel a little bit achey, certainly not swelling. There's not really a specific spot where it feels sore, just all round the knees really. Notice my knee is clicking a little bit if I extend my legs out from a sitting position.

I should add my LBS pointed out my chain is already at three quarters (not sure exactly what that means) and the chap there suggested I'm riding in too high a gear regularly. I've been sticking with lower gears recently, although it's only recently that they've been feeling like this.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did they mean three quarters worn?

That shouldn't affect your knees. You really need to check that your seat height is correct - read up on the web about this or sit on the bike and allow your leg to hang down loosely, not extended. The heel should just be resting on the pedal at the bottom of its stroke.

Keep in a light gear and spin, don't mash your knees in too heavy a gear.

When the knee clicks, it the clicking coming from behind your kneecap? Is it both knees or just one?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Where in the knee does it hurt or is it a general feeling of pain?

With the new seat height maybe it is slightly to high/low ?

I will not suggest a new seat post or pedals as my stalker Steve Austin will be here :wahhey:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Globalti said:
Did they mean three quarters worn?

That shouldn't affect your knees. You really need to check that your seat height is correct - read up on the web about this or sit on the bike and allow your leg to hang down loosely, not extended. The heel should just be resting on the pedal at the bottom of its stroke.

Just sat on it and that's about right then. I've tried having the seat higher before but found I was stretching too much and it was rather uncomfortable on my more intimate regions! I perhaps then should try lowering my seat a touch more, and if my back/neck issues return, then lower the handlebars further.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps my bike was actually a little too big for me :wahhey: I'm six foot, but only have 31" inside leg so most of my height is in my upper body. Kona's site suggested a 60cm frame as the equivalent of a regular 56cm frame, which has been fine for me as a size on other bikes. Perhaps I should have gone with 58cm after all - now this leaves me with a rather dangerous looking protruberance from the center of my handlebars ready to impale me!

When the knee clicks, it the clicking coming from behind your kneecap? Is it both knees or just one?

Behind, and it's both, although mostly my right knee.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would not have thought it was frame size for knees , as long as you have the right height of saddle most times i have had problems is reach as although i am shorter than you i have the same inside leg so i have to have a smaller frame (54 max).

Some people also like the knee over pedal crank using a plumb bob ,although that's a bit controversial .

For me i have never found a road bike saddle to be comfortable yet ,no matter how i adjust the reach,height, angle etc i just find them uncomfortable .

raindog

er.....
Jezston said:
I should add my LBS pointed out my chain is already at three quarters (not sure exactly what that means) and the chap there suggested I'm riding in too high a gear regularly.
the chap was right with that - pushing too high a gear = buggered knees

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
One other thing has just occured to me that has changed recently - I added a bottle and holder to my frame. I just realised when I first put it on I noticed I was occasionally brushing the bottle with my legs ... I wonder if I've subconciously bowed my knees out a little bit in my riding style to compensate which could do it ...

montage

God Almighty
User3143 said:
I don't think that doing stretching has any impact on your knees. Might be that the bike is still incorrectly set up or could be your riding style.

Get some pedals with some free float and see if that helps.

Tight hamstrings have HUGE impact on knees - as does a tight ITB band - do some of these.

My advice, go to the doc now and over-egg how bad they are so you are referred to a physio. If you knees get worse then you will always be in the waiting list for a physio.

Seriously get help on this one, sounds very similar to what I experienced around a year ago. Couple of months later and I haven't been on the bike since.

montage

God Almighty
just reread your OP - I would do some deep hamstring and ITB stretches. All that talk of stretching not hurting is a lode of bollocks as well - stretching with the aim to increase flexibility really fcking hurts.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jezston said:
When I first got my bike (Kona Dew) about 8 months ago, my lower back would get sore. So, I adjusted the seat and handlebars a bit, and that went away ... to be replaced by my neck hurting. Cue further adjustments - seat raised, handlebars lowered, and for the last two weeks or so I've been fine.

However, now my knees are starting to hurt :laugh: In fact they feel a little sore all the time the last few days and I haven't ridden since 6pm yesterday.

Now could this be riding position related, I use regular flat pedals, or could it just be pushing it too hard riding style, or just inneffective stretching before and after riding - must admit I don't do much stretching, but then I only ride about 50-60 miles a week at the mo. Interestingly I'm finding going for a ride tends to make them feel better while I'm riding, so could it just be the stretching?

Stretching before the ride won't make any difference, stretching after the ride can help, but it sounds like there is more to it than just the need for stretching. It could be your saddle is at the wrong hight and/or that you are trying to ride in too high a gear.

When you are sitting on the bike if you put your heal on the pedal, your leg should be straight, so that when you have the ball of your foot on the pedal (in the correct riding position) you leg is slightly bent.

When you are riding, try to use a lower gear and spin your legs around faster (you should be at a cadence of about 70-80 rpm).

Top Bottom