Knocked off...... again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Commuting home to my girlfriends last night and some complete tool turned into my path as I entered rusholme in Manchester. He turned from the other side of the road across the other lane and up into a side street which I was passing. Pulled directly into my path. Hit the brakes, flipped over bars and nailed his front wing.

He gets out saying, what the hell, aggressively, so I reply, "you just f*king hit me, what are you shouting at me for, I had right of way, and you turned into my path."

Just happens by coincidence there was a bike accident there 5 mins prior so a paramedic was present. Checked I was okay and was prompting me to get the drivers details. Driver tried to blame me, going to fast apparently. Paramedics told him its a 30 mph limit, and I had right of way, and that driver was to fault. I was doing just under 16 according to my garmin data.

His follow-up excuse, "you hit your brakes so you must have seen me" erm..... what am I meant to do if a car pulls in my path, just hit it without braking?

He then said that he seen I was going so fast, when challenged by paramedics with why did you turn into his path then? He shook his head started to get in his car to leave, so I took a photo of registration plate, while I was doing this he started to come toward me aggressively asking what I was doing and why. I pocket the phone and ask witness to write down his reg unsure if my photo would be okay, asked a witness to hold bike because I thought he was about to hit me and wanted to be able to defend myself. He pulls car a bit further gets back out still refusing it was his fault or to give details.

Showed me damage my body had done to the car, front passenger wing was dented badly by my elbows and ribs. I said it was his fault and the extent to his car damage was irrelevant, he said what am I going to do about his car. I say F*ck all, its his fault. By now I was fuming and shouting at him. The paramedics says will phone police because he thought we were about to start fighting and leaves.

Driver then says its not even his car. I inform him this makes no difference. He then tells me I can't claim of him as he isn't insured, gets in car and drives away.

I go my girlfriends get her flatmate and some paper go back get a witness name and number. I have phoned police to report it, have garmin data, photo of his reg also shows damage to his car. Police say they will be able to trace the paramedic who was there.

I am buying a helmet camera ASAP now.

redddraggon

Blondie
They hand out drivers licenses in cereal packets in Rusholme. What did the dude look like? Was he of the normal Rusholme Demographic? In my experience very few of them can actually drive sensibly.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cliche but, Male, Asian, 30's, 5' 4" ish, dark jeans and tee shirt. Stubble, driving a Light blue/green fiat punto.

Crash was on corner of banff road.

redddraggon

Blondie
Rob3rt said:
Cliche but, Male, Asian, 30's, 5' 4" ish, dark jeans and tee shirt. Stubble, driving a Light blue/green fiat punto.

Crash was on corner of banff road.

A friend in the second year of my UG degree got knocked off there too, but that time it was a WVM.

I'm normally quite a quiet person, but when I'm cycling through Rusholme you hear me shout expletives even I didn't know existed.

It's not just their carelessness to cyclists, I've driven down there and they pull out of side roads without looking/caring if anything is coming.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
glad your okish. Sounds like a nasty piece of work. Only thing i can say from reading that, is ring the police ASAP after an accident.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes I should have had paramedic call them while he was at the scene and used witnesses as a means to allow me prevent him leaving without ending up on an assault charge but I wasn't thinking straight partly anger partly shock I guess, but afterwards I rang them very soon, within 20 mins.

Jezston

Über Member
Keep pressing them on it, don't just wait for them to get back to you. If the driver was uninsured that's an easy fine for the old bill anyway, and with an esteemed professional as a witness it should be easy work for them.

And get an airzound :wahhey:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Rob3rt said:
Yes I should have had paramedic call them while he was at seen and used witnesses to not allow him to leave, but I wasn't thinking straight partly anger partly shock I guess, but afterwards I rang them very soon, within 20 mins.

Don't worry about it. Anyone that has been hit by a car will know that your not always thinking straight, especially if the driver gets out and starts to accuse you when you know you did nothing wrong. best of luck getting the him off the road!

My sympathies!

I don't cycle down Wilmslow road through Rusholme on my way home as I think it's too risky; between cars not looking where they are going / parking / pulling out / lunatic pedestrians etc. I go up it every morning on the way in to work (when Rusholme is still asleep).

IMHO Friday nights are the worst in Rusholme traffic wise.

There is a much quieter route round the back which I can send you if you want - depends which way you are heading of course.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Sorry to hear about this and I'm glad you are OK, if a little shaken and bruised.

You absolutely must pursue this matter go to the police and don't let it drop. Poor drivers like this must be brought to task for their actions, particularly when they point blank refuse to accept responsibility for what they have done.

Good luck with this. Keep us posted on how you get on and do get a helmet camera, I've got an MD80 (Muvi clone) and wouldn't be without it these days.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm sure someone can clarify this, but isn't it also illegal to leave the scene of a collision without leaving your details?

Could be a whole catalogue of crimes this guy has just committed.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Jezston said:
I'm sure someone can clarify this, but isn't it also illegal to leave the scene of a collision without leaving your details?

Could be a whole catalogue of crimes this guy has just committed.

I think this is the case. See this for details.

Even if Rob3t didn't request the driver's details (and understandable if not because of being shaken up) it looks like he didn't get the chance anyway with the driver keen to go. So yes, this should be highlighted to the police too. The more offences this guy racks up, the more likely they will do something about it.

Top Bottom