Knocked off...... again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BentMikey said:
Claim for your shorts!! I think it's very important to claim for actual damage, as this is the only real way you have much chance of satisfaction against the driver. The police are not likely to do very much, IMO.

Go to court over a £25 pair of shorts? Plus the police need to find the actual driver (since the driver claimed wasnt even his car, not insured etc) so if they have to go to the effort to find him, they will have to push the charges surely? The charges being pushed is satisfaction enough for me.

dodgy said:
Rob3rt, nice job on the forensic IT evidence pre-packaging - you could have a place on my team anytime :biggrin:

Well lets face it, Greater Manchester Police have a very poor rep, I am just making it as easy as possible. This avoids "lack of evidence", "requires to many resources" or alternative cliche police response, all the police need to do is contact the ambulance service to see who the paramedic at the scene was (the accident he was attending should be logged to this is another way to trace the paramedic, ideally id have got his name but i wasnt thinking straight and was too busy trying get driver details) and then to contact the car owner.

This way any non-action is ultimatelly down to their shortcomings and I can complain about it.

redddraggon

Blondie
Rob3rt said:
Well lets face it, Manchester Metropolitan Police have a very poor rep

Who? :biggrin:

I think you mean "Greater Manchester Police" :angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rob3rt said:
Go to court over a £25 pair of shorts? Plus the police need to find the actual driver (since the driver claimed wasnt even his car, not insured etc) so if they have to go to the effort to find him, they will have to push the charges surely? The charges being pushed is satisfaction enough for me.

It's not about the money, it's about the consequence to the driver. My suspicion is that the police will decide "No further action", leaving you with no satisfaction at all, and no claim for your shorts. Too right you should claim your shorts.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I guess, well....... we will see (and hope for the best)

I bought a Muvi cam last night, told the guy in evans cycles what happened, apparently I should have just had a fight with the guy and give him a beatdown :laugh:. Used the cam this morning, was pointed slightly too low so didnt capture much useful footage, will be fine tuning its possition over next couple of days. It did witness some douche on his hipster style fixie nearly get knocked off then run a red just after pointlessly overtaking me. This is going to be fuuuuuuun!

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Update, I have recieved my self report form, and what an intimidating beast it is.

I have just finished it, and finished annotating and signing all my images. Just about to burn a CD-rom with the original photo's and Garmin data. I sincerely hope the police do something about this and he doesnt manage to turn it around and start trying to claim for his totalled front wing.

Armegatron

Twenty Inch said:
I should print the photos and Garmin data, if poss. They won't play the CD. Either "might have a virus" or "don't have the equipment".

Working in the Police myself, the "dont have the equipment" is very common.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Twenty Inch said:
I should print the photos and Garmin data, if poss. They won't play the CD. Either "might have a virus" or "don't have the equipment".

The data and photo's are printed and annotated. The cd was mostly to include the photo taken dates, and allow them to be blown up and looked at closer.

Photo's include bruising pointed out, dated and showing a progression as bruising emerges over a number of days. The Garmin data is annotated pointing out my cadence changing from 60-odd to zero immediatelly (I ride fixed so this marks the collision), the time shown, the speed at this time also pointed out as 15.6 mph.

The form asked me to draw a map, its a joke, I am not spending my time using squared paper to drap maps, I've provided 2 garmin maps (google maps with garmin trace), and annotated them.

Also including picture of his car reg with wing damage. Made appropriate comments on the back page of the form pointing out other damage on his car present in the photo that was NOT caused in this incident. It is along the same side as this collision ( dints above and black marks below the passenger side headlight and also the car manufacturer logo in middle of bonnet was dinted in, I didnt hit anywhere near here, I hit above the wheel) so I commented that I am unsure if 100% of the wing damage is due to this collision and stated some may have been present from a previous accident as suggested by the other marks.

The form had very little room for explination, however they have been provided with a 3 page account using all the additional note space.

Im usually one to get angry when something happens but quickly cool of and just let things go, but this incident (mainly the drivers attitude) got my back up and I will be seeing it through. My Muvi is set up and running smoothly now, fingers crossed it doesnt have to be put to use ever.

Rob3rt said:
Mike, working with the police, if you have any hints on how best I should present my evidence (if I am not already presenting it adequitly) such that it gains worthwhile attention

Directly to the chief constable at the next lodge meeting should do it. :smile:

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Twenty Inch said:
Sounds pretty thorough Rob. I hope you're not too painful and this lowlife gets his quickly.

My injuries are healing (was nothing major, Ive had worse), just scabby knees and some elbow and body bruising.

I am looking to register with a doctor to get my chest checked though, since I keep getting a sharp pain in my ribs/chest when performing certain movements such as getting out of a chair. Its near a bruise on my chest, but not directly under it, so I maybe cracked a rib? Not much a doctor can do though. Just going to get it checked when I can. Might get my girlfriends flatmate to prod me over later, he is a doctor, worked in A&E for a period, see what he advises.

You may have cracked a rib or just got very heavy bruising. Tbh, there's not much a doctor can do for that, other than prescribe strong painkillers. If they offer these, you should take them as they allow you to move that side of the chest, which helps healing. Otherwise the tendency is to immobilise it because of the pain, which slows healing down by restricting blood supply. You can get mild co-codamol over the counter if you need to, which will help.

How do I know this? PAFO the bike many years ago....

Top Bottom