Knocked off my bike in a cycle lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm not going to lecture anyone. I will, however happily show my shattered lid around. You'll note that I said I'm trying to convince those I know who don't wear helmets. That does not refer to the internet at large. There's no point in convincing anyone with whom I do not have a relationship of anything.

Are they on here, then? Because to post on a forum is to address the membership. Besides, I'm not sure the advice is significantly less patronizing or useless if directed at friends and acquaintances than at strangers.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Get well soon

vickster

Legendary Member
Heal well, if a member of a cycling organisation, make use of their legal service to pursue the driver through their insurance company.
Glad your skull is in one piece, the helmet can be replaced :smile:

young Ed

Veteran
GWS!

i've already been in enough trouble for pointless posting and inappropriate posting and thread hijacking so here goes again!
if the helmet did anything it may have stopped a cracked head and potential head bleeding which i know several who have had and it's not fun and games
i wear a helmet and so far it has neither proved to be of help or hindrance in a crash but i do know some one who had a fatal crash whilst wearing a helmet but to be honest i don't think anything on earth could have saved her at that point
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Get down what you do know onto paper as soon as possible.
You'll then realise that some of what is written down is out of order. Use your time to get it into order.

Get the bike checked at two seperate bike shops. Unless a write-Off, two quotes will normally be required.

Get in touch with the witnesses and see if they'll supply you with their version of events. Good or bad.

Crankarm

Guru
^^^^^^ Wot he said. Make sure you use a PI solicitor whose used to dealing with cycling cases i.e. BC or CTC solicitors. It was good your helmet took the impact with the road and not your head else you might be dead.

Where in Cambridge were you knocked off?

GWS.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Luckily, I had ipbike running, so I have a fairly accurate record of what happened, from a data collection standpoint, anyway. I will, of course, write out my recollection of events shortly, as soon as it is practical for me to do so.

classic33

Leg End Member
Luckily, I had ipbike running, so I have a fairly accurate record of what happened, from a data collection standpoint, anyway. I will, of course, write out my recollection of events shortly, as soon as it is practical for me to do so.
Get what you remember down on paper as soon as possible. You can work out the order of events in your own time.
Don't place to high a reliance on what may be recorded to provide it. It can't give you witness names & statements. And you might find it being ruled as inadmissable.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I have written everything down.

It looks like the repair cost for my bike will exceed the cost of the bike.

And at last assessment, I won't be able to ride one for 8 to 12 weeks.

BRounsley

Über Member

Your helmet catastrophically failed.

Cycle helmets fail catastrophically, not gradually, in high impact crashes- the forces are so great that a helmet will compress and break in around 1/1000th of a second. The absorption of the initial forces during this very short period of time is unlikely to make a significant difference to the likelihood of serious injury or death.

A helmet that worked properly in an accident would have a permanent depression at the point of impact, but would still be in one piece.

Your helmet failed.

I totally agree.

It’s like parading a snapped seatbelt while praising it for slowing you down as you went through the windscreen.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I totally agree.

It’s like parading a snapped seatbelt while praising it for slowing you down as you went through the windscreen.
I take it you're not a fan of crumple zones in cars. Do you have an intimate knowledge of the technology that CatLike has put into their helmets? Maybe it was designed to do that.

At the very least, I didn't suffer any abrasions to my head. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities by praising the helmet that protected me. I'm not obligating you to read my thread.

BRounsley

Über Member
I take it you're not a fan of crumple zones in cars. Do you have an intimate knowledge of the technology that CatLike has put into their helmets? Maybe it was designed to do that.

At the very least, I didn't suffer any abrasions to my head. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities by praising the helmet that protected me. I'm not obligating you to read my thread.

No I just apply a bit of scientific method to my judgment.

Car crumple zones have been repeatedly proven to reduce the energy in an impact to level that it can reduce injury.

Maybe you were using an experiment CatLike helmet, but I suspect it was expanded polystyrene. The limitations of which are well known and that’s why new TV are packed with thicker pieces than that are used in cycle helmets.

In a situation like yours emotion often comes into play and the phrase “My helmet probably saved my life” was used. I think it’s reasonable to questions this in the same way I’d question some who evangelised homeopathic medicine.

I read the thread because I saw someone was knocked off and was concerned for their wellbeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom