knocking/creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peteoc

Hi All,

After the rain we had on Tuesday, I've started to notice a knocking/creaking sound from my left pedal/crank arm. The pedals were on my old bike which took quite a knock in an RTA I was involved in however I'm wondering if it's the rain that's caused it.

What do people recommend to diagnose and sort? Bear in mind that I need the bike this Sunday for the Manchester to Blackpool ride :ohmy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is it a square taper crank? Check the tightness of the bolt holding it on - it should be extremely tight. Look carefully for signs of cracking around the BB end of the crank too; I once had a crank break on me.

ramses

Hi,

Might be stating the obvious here, but have you tried to see how freely the pedal spins. Quite often it can be bearings in the pedal that cause a clicking sound and you can feel them through the pedal if they aren't running smoothly. Perhaps they need a little oil or grease.

I hope it is this simple and nothing major as you have a ride coming up. Good luck with the ride.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've had some nasty creaks from the BB/Pedal/Crank area that have turned out to be solved with a little lube on the cleat springs. Its almost impossible to accurately pinpoint a sound on a bike, and if you don't feel any play check around for other possible causes.

OP
OP
peteoc

peteoc

well thank god it's not raining now - i'm going to check the bike fully when im home in the hope I can find the cause.

Broadside

Guru
I've been trying to track down a loud creak on my bike for three weeks now - i was pretty sure it was the cranks so I tightened them. I have just found the cause however - there was dirt on the seat post so I removed it, cleaned and re-greased and the creak has now gone!

Road gunge had been flicked up by the back wheel and some had made it's way in to the tube. Bike frames do a great job of transmitting sounds from one part of the bike to another as they are hollow tubes. I noticed it was something to do with the seat post when I found the sound disappeared when I was standing on the pedals with no weight on the saddle.

Good luck tracking your creak down to the cause.

Top Bottom