Know Any Good Maintenance Books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone knows of a good manual/maintenance/tutorial books.

I have just started getting into bikes and feel I want to do a lot of things myself rather than go to a bike shop with every little problem.

Been using online stuff which is quite good, but wouldn't mind a good book too.

Thanks

El CID

Bike Radar have produced one,currently on sale at W H Smiths(Magazine section.
Not bad but its £12.99

accountantpete

Brexiteer
YouTube videos are very helpful - there's probably one on every aspect.

Books are ok but with different manufacturers having different designs it's difficult to cover all aspects in one book.

Bandini

I bought the Haynes one, because I felt I needed one. I have never used it because there is better/a wider range of stuff on the net.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Haynes good introduction, inexpensive from Amazon. Park Tool website recommended - up to date, brand specific. Print out the pages you need for the job - doesn't matter if they get black, greasy fingerprints all over.

rusky

CC Addict
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/dp/193138259X is good.
I have the Haynes one too. I like being able to look at pages when I'm in the garage & have no access to the PC.

rh100

I got the Haynes book. In some aspects it's good, but in others it seems to miss bits out, maybe trying to cover too much. But handy to keep in the shed.

Web is good, especially if you can print out a concise set of instructions, videos are ok to familiarise yoursef with parts but not much use for referring to whilst doing the job. A bit like trying to follow Delias recipes when the tv is in the lounge :biggrin:

OP
OP
GreenMambaGreen

GreenMambaGreen

Thanks for you advice good people.

I will take a lookie at some of those titles. I like the old school feel of a book, but as many have suggested, the interweb is pretty useful too.

I got some joy from 'bicycletutor' with v brakes earlier. Gave me confidence to take everything apart and play. Now feel quite comfortable around v brakes.

Thanks Again

PpPete

Legendary Member
The old versions of Richard's Bicycle Book (with heavily bearded gent in wooly sweater on front) were brilliant. Excellent guide to 1970s & 1980s bicycle technology, before the days of internet, STI/Ergos, suspension etc .

I was very disappointed in his "21st Century Bicycle Book". All the useful stuff removed and replaced by a rant about HPV's. Not that I've anything against 'bents (I'll buy one eventually) but it wasnt what I bought the book for.

LizardEye

I have the Haynes book and find it quite frustrating.

It seems to focus on how to 'install' disc brakes or new derailleurs or whatever, rather than on how to maintain the ones you have. It also lacks any kind of troubleshooting guide which the Haynes car manuals are good at.

If you are going to be doing a lot of maintenance, a 1 day course might be worth doing. I did one at EBC last year and it was great. Only covered a fraction of what I might need but give me loads of confidence to tackle most things.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
As I said, I consider Haynes to be a good introduction - but no one book covers it all - that is why the net is so useful - Sheldon B, ParkTool, Bicycle Tutor, You Tube, etc, etc. - words, pictures, manufacturers tech-sheets and how-to-it videos. Then there is the vast knowledge and experience of members of online forums - such as cyclechat! It really is so easy to find information on bicycle maintenance now, from the most basic up - just type the words into the search engine of choice, and click .....

Top Bottom