Know your heart rate like your pin code

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by CarlP, 14 Feb 2019.

1. CarlP

CarlP There’s no need to live in a pit of doom

Illaveago and Fnaar like this.
  2. Charlotte Alice Button

Charlotte Alice Button Specialized Super Fan

Same as the BMI scale - it just goes on facts and figures and not individual circumstances. I have a bodybuilder friend, eats really well exercises and is strong, but because he's solid and slightly shorter than average, the BMI scale rates him as....OBESE?!! :cursing:

dave r, SpokeyDokey, Milzy and 2 others like this.
  3. Charlotte Alice Button

Charlotte Alice Button Specialized Super Fan

I just did my Heart Test and my Heart age is bang on my age....even with slightly high blood pressure due to anxiety and family history.

CarlP likes this.
  4. Well after reading many articles I am not convinced that the level of cholesterol in the blood is even related to heart disease

dave r likes this.
  5. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Reading that article made my heart miss a beat when I read the caption, "Keith had to give up work when he had his second heart attack".

Keith

Soltydog, CarlP and screenman like this.
  6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

It says that unless you know your blood pressure and cholesterol number then the heart age is not personal to you. The number will just be based on population studies of risk factors.

It is a difficult one as other averages like a resting heart rate between 60-100 are for sedentary adults. Being lifelong active my resting heart rate is much lower than the norm.

7. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

It isn't. That's 1970s BS still taught at medical school today.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Guru

I fail straight away. 52" chest, but a 36/38 inches waist, 19 stone 1 at a fraction under 6'4". I ain't no pork boy, yet my heart age is about 180 years.

Moodyman, dave r and kevin_cambs_uk like this.
  9. cuberider

cuberider Über Member

I know my BP and cholesterol as I get an annual health check. I don't worry too much about BMI as its only a guide. The test says that my heart age is slightly under my real age.

10. Drago

Drago Guru

Aye, my last BP was 117/73, resting heart rate high forties, I can still see my feet - good enough for me.

iancity, dave r, siadwell and 3 others like this.
  11. They don't ask you your resting or exercising heart rate. Also,i know i have 'perfect' blood pressure as i was told so on my last medical,but 'cause i don't know the actual numbers i had to accept the national average one. It gave me a heart age of 64. I'm 58.

Drago likes this.
  12. Paulus

Paulus Started young, and still going.

My last blood pressure reading was 120/78 which i was told was fine. On the BBC heart test thingy I had the heart of a 70 year old, even though I am 61, not over weight, exercise every day and eat healthily. I wouldn't put too much faith in the accuracy of these on line tests.

classic33 likes this.
  13. Slioch

Slioch Veteran

Tis a load of bolox.

Sorry, not very constructive!

iancity, dave r, HLaB and 4 others like this.
  14. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

I wouldn't worry about anything the so called experts say. I have no doubt that next week they will come up with something else to scare the bejeesus out of people. It is a bit like waiting for a bus. Miss one and another one will be along in a minute. It is the same thing with so called experts.

Blood pressure, heart rate and cholesterol can only be looked at when you take everything about an individual person as a whole including general fitness level, diet and weight. Trying to lump everyone into a tiny gap is crazy and stupid. My advice is to stop looking at rubbish. Everything in moderation is a goofd mantra.

david k, dave r and Slioch like this.
  15. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Au contraire, mon ami.

Slioch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice