Knowing What Gear You're in...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dayvo said:
Bloody 'ell! You're showing your age! :blush: (I was 6).
Geoff Hurst and Alan Ball to be avoided, then.

87 next birthday, still got 2 of me own teeth, 28 grandchildren and we couldn't get bananas during the war.:smile:

(I was 12 actually in '66)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not easy to explain.... you usually get "should I be in an easy gear or hard gear" then get moans of being in a too easy gear.....and that's family.....argh....... i.e. wife (who does OK).... BUT........

The problem is the "MIL" who is getting on a bit, doesn't understand gears, and riding a bike about at her caravan in the summer only, but suggesting 90 rpm might blow a fuse or three, especially as she has a dicky ticker - I think not !! :sad:

buggi

Bird Saviour
John the Monkey said:
It does if you throw the chain off because you think you've another cog yet to go... :sad:

that shouldn't happen. it should only go so far or it's set up wrong.

i hardly ever check what gear i'm in. If it feels right then i reckon its ok.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
buggi said:
that shouldn't happen. it should only go so far or it's set up wrong.

i hardly ever check what gear i'm in. If it feels right then i reckon its ok.

Friction shifting.

I'm the indexing on that, and therein lies the problem :sad:

inaperfectworld

i thought the same thing when i first got sti but now with experience i seem to have got a feel for the gear and a quick glance confirms in doubt

PrettyboyTim

I find it's only really useful to know which gear you're in when you're coming to a stop, so you can be in a good gear to start off in again. For me that's normally 2nd gear at the back, middle ring (or sometimes outer ring). As the STIs will shift down several gears at a go if you push the lever further, as I'm coming to a junction I often just change down until it won't go any further and then change up one gear.

Occasionally I forget which front ring I'm on and accidentally change to the inner ring, which results in much frantic leg spinning as I start off...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
PrettyboyTim said:
I find it's only really useful to know which gear you're in when you're coming to a stop, so you can be in a good gear to start off in again. For me that's normally 2nd gear at the back, middle ring (or sometimes outer ring). As the STIs will shift down several gears at a go if you push the lever further, as I'm coming to a junction I often just change down until it won't go any further and then change up one gear.

Occasionally I forget which front ring I'm on and accidentally change to the inner ring, which results in much frantic leg spinning as I start off...

Ah, yes that is the one time when when I do find I need to know. Usually I find the problem the other way round, I come to a halt in too high a gear and find my self standing on the peddles straining to get them turning...:smile:

Top Bottom