Kona Hoss, Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's no problem with hydraulics. The braking performance is far far far better than mechanical discs and is beyond comparison to Vs. I have disc brakes on all of my mtbs, and the only maintenance I've had to do is change the pads. Once every couple of years the bike goes in for a service where the brake system is bled, and then it works fine again. I have 2 pairs of hope minis (the old sort, not the mono) and some hope mono M4s on my DH bike. Avid juicys are also good.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I've cancelled the order!

I want to try and find a Kona shop and try one before I commit £500, it's just too big a risk. If I can't find a 'good' shop that can back up the bikes I'm not going to buy a Kona, Halfords stock them but my local branch only has one Kona bike in and I don't have much faith in them.

So I might well order one but I'll need to put a bit more thought into it. I don't want to end up with a bike I don't like.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Since you want to try things first, which is a good idea, why not start the right way around which is to consider:

1. You (weight, height, competence etc.);
2. What kind of riding you want to do;
3. Your budget.

Then we might be able to advise on drawing up a shortlist of possibilities, and you can go try a few things out... it may well be that you'll end up where you started and buy a Hoss, but at least you'll know it was the right choice!

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Flying_Monkey said:
it may well be that you'll end up where you started and buy a Hoss, but at least you'll know it was the right choice!

Indeed. I'm about five-foot ten and about fifteen stone, thanks to a big fat belly! ;0) Fat, but I don't think I need the Hoss as my Hardrock has taken my bulk for seven years without complaint, and that includes the odd blast down rocky slopes and a few crashes. I used to be quite nimble on a bike but being over weight and over forty takes it's toll. I've even noticed that my balance isn't as good as it was say five years ago. Having said that I like off road trails and want to do more of that but nothing too hairy, I'd just crash horribly.

I've kind of settled on a budget of around £500 as I wanted to improve on my top-of-the-range Hardrock. The entry Rockhopper appeals as the frame and spec are great for the money, I also like the company and the shop that sells the bikes. On the negative side I've never loved the Hardrock geometry and figure the Rockhopper might be similar.

I'd like a bike that was fun to chuck around with a relaxed riding position. Maybe just a shorter bike than I've got now will do it.

ratty2k

DO NOT WORRY about the seals on hydro brake systems! Its rare to have problems with them, and the extra power and reliability over mech discs FAR outweighs any issues you may have. As for the bike, well you've done the right thing- try before you buy whenever you can. Mongoose and GT make some good budget bikes as do Gary Fisher. I'd have a look at the Genesis Core 1.0 http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=12&show_bike=TRUE

and the Focus Fatboy which is terrific value for money! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032163&N=Focus Fat Boy 2008

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

The Focus is out because there is no way I can try it, mail order only. I might try and check out the Genesis, there are a few stockists in Scotland.

The real problem is knowing which components to value the highest. The Rockhopper has a better fork and gears than some others, arguably a very sophisticated frame too, but only Vee brakes. On the Genesis for instance you get disks but lesser gears and a Suntour fork. It's hard to decide what matters the most.

Also the geometry is critical, but unless you've had a good thrash on them how are you supposed to know what bike will hit the spot for you? How could you risk buying the Focus when you might not like the way it rides?

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I spoke to a guy in Edinburgh Bike Coop, they stock the Specialized, Genesis and Comencal as well.

He said that he'd buy the Rockhopper without hesitation. Says it's got by far the best frame on a bike at that price, it was a high-end frame not long ago, and the rest of the spec is very good too. Although it doesn't have disk brakes it's got disk-ready hubs etc so upgrading later is simple. He's got the Tora fork on his bike and likes it, thinks it a good bit better than the Dart.

He didn't rate the Genesis well at all, said it was off the pace compared to other bikes at the price. The Comencal he thought was ok but there were parts on it you'd want to change and Rockhopper felt more planted and stable to ride, in his opinion.

He's had a couple of Kona bikes and liked them, very relaxed and lazy handling, but they don't stock them so he doesn't know what the current bikes are like.

ratty2k

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

It's a nightmare trying to find stockists of all the bikes. Then they need to have demo bikes in stock and set-up, and in your size! No hurry though. I'll have the thing for a decade probably so I want to get it right.

The bikes I want to try are the Rockhopper, Genesis Core and a Kona if I can. That's based on revues, opinions I've heard and my own experience with Specialized and Dales.

Top Bottom