KONA Scab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

Morning all,
Just acquired a Kona Scab hard tail mountain bike. It looks pretty complete - photos to follow.

Will need a bit of TLC - chain, cables etc but I quite like the design.

Its an early model, steel frame and circular tubes not the box section. Picture for reference only. Mine has Magura hydraulic forks.

1620719049477.png

Is it a keeper?

All comments greatly received.

Cheers,

Last edited:

weareHKR

Could have originally had the rigid P2 JF forks on it?
depends on what you're gonna use it for tho, post some actual pics when you chance!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I often get one of those on my knee from biking

With a steel frame and suspension fork it’s gonna weigh a ton but apart from that looks like a good retro bike. Kona have always made excellent stuff.

battered

Guru
I think the Scab was a jump bike as originally conceived, so rigid P2 forks, burly build, low standover. Intended for skate parks, pump tracks and the like. Shop elsewhere if your interests are XC based. Is this correct? Either way Kona make great bikes, I have 2, a Cinder Cone from about 2000, and a Kula from 2005. Both ally.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think the Scab was a jump bike as originally conceived, so rigid P2 forks, burly build, low standover. Intended for skate parks, pump tracks and the like. Shop elsewhere if your interests are XC based. Is this correct? Either way Kona make great bikes, I have 2, a Cinder Cone from about 2000, and a Kula from 2005. Both ally.

I agree, looks downhill/jump, which will probably make it too heavy for general MTB use.

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Morning all,
Just acquired a Kona Scab hard tail mountain bike. It looks pretty complete - photos to follow.

Will need a bit of TLC - chain, cables etc but I quite like the design.

Its an early model, steel frame and circular tubes not the box section. Picture for reference only. Mine has Magura hydraulic forks.

View attachment 588176

Is it a keeper?

All comments greatly received.

Cheers,
Photo of actual bike with its sisters! Marin Bear Valley SE and Claud Butler Urraco.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 40

mustang1

Guru
Wow this reminds me of my old Peugeot mtb from the early 90s (and previous "MTBs" which may not have been as strong but I never know as I didn't take them off road). My current Carrera Parva (flat bar hybrid, no sus, rim brakes) reminds me a little of the old pre-sus MTB days....

battered

Guru
I still use a pre-sus MTB as a tourer and commuter. Raleigh M Trax titanium+steel frame, steel forks, flat bars and bar ends. I've taken it over Ventoux with touring gear, the granny ring was very handy. Same in Wales, Scotland, Northumberland. It's extremely comfortable and rolls well on 26 x 1.5 slicks. I've done so many miles (20,000 plus) that it has only one original moving part, the front derailleur, and it's worn to shape to fit me. To think that when I bought it 25 years ago I wasn't sure I'd get the use of of it so I didn't spend the extra on the all-titanium version. Aargh. Oh well.

Top Bottom