Kona Sutra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gussington

Dear all,
I have just put in a (cancellable) order for a 2011 Kona Sutra as I love the look of it, but cannot find them in stock anywhere! I know of course the 2011 one is not out yet, but thought I might find a 2010 to try out.

Does anyone know a place that does/might have one in stock? I need a 53cm frame.

Alternatively, does anyone who lives anywhere near London have one that I could pop round and just sit on for a couple of minutes to reassure myself that I ahve got the right size ordered? I work on the Canal in Camden and an a canoeing coach and narrowboat skipper, so if someone can sort this then I am heppy to offer them a short trip on the canal for them and some friends to say thanks!

Or another alternative - can anyone recommend (as a last resort) any othe rbikes with very very similar geometry that I might find more easily and use to work out my size?

Any opinions info on my choice also appreciated!

Anyone......?

When i was looking for a new bike Kona Sutra was on the top of my list. I read some great reviews about the later models. Due to my budget and a bargain Dawes Galaxy coming along I went with that. I am not disappointed in my choice, but I'm sure the Kona would have been a brilliant bike too.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Like Roundisland, when I was looking for a new bike about 18 months ago, the Sutra and the Galaxy were my final choices. I test rode both and decided on the Sutra.

The Galaxy was very comfortable though a little laid back, but the Sutra was comfortable and lively. It really encouraged one to go hard which is probably better for fast commutes.

I will say this, the Sutra geometry is smaller than other tourers like the Galaxy as it has origins in mountain biking. So a 60cms Sutra is more like a 58cm Galaxy.

In the end, I didn't get either as the Sutra had a 4-month wait and I needed a bike sooner. I got a flat barred road bike as most of cycling was, and still is, commuting.

aabradys

Is there much difference between the 2010 and 2011 sutra? I am thinking of buying one but not sure if there are significant changes!

looe

Dear all,
I have just put in a (cancellable) order for a 2011 Kona Sutra as I love the look of it, but cannot find them in stock anywhere! I know of course the 2011 one is not out yet, but thought I might find a 2010 to try out.

Does anyone know a place that does/might have one in stock? I need a 53cm frame.

Alternatively, does anyone who lives anywhere near London have one that I could pop round and just sit on for a couple of minutes to reassure myself that I ahve got the right size ordered? I work on the Canal in Camden and an a canoeing coach and narrowboat skipper, so if someone can sort this then I am heppy to offer them a short trip on the canal for them and some friends to say thanks!

Or another alternative - can anyone recommend (as a last resort) any othe rbikes with very very similar geometry that I might find more easily and use to work out my size?

Any opinions info on my choice also appreciated!

Anyone......?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/26657/Kona-Sutra-2011---Road-Bike-.html

cnb

Veteran
I have a 54cm sutra 2010 (the brown one).. I'm 5'8" and find it to be a good fit.. other bikes in the 54 cm size are too big for me, so try before you buy.... I got mine for £750 new,which i thought was a good deal..its a good comfortable bike and i would give it the thumbs up for anyone interested in getting one.. Only downside is its a heavy old beast but rides really well...Check out the review on the "road cc" website and also in cycling active...

Looks good - been looking for a tourer with a heavily sloping tube. Can't understand why there aren't more

But it has drops - not sure I could get used to.

Anyone got any views on its use of disc brakes for a tourer? I gather it also has canti studs on the front but not on the back so any real disaster on tour and wouldn't continuing be a bit hard?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Anyone got any views on its use of disc brakes for a tourer? I gather it also has canti studs on the front but not on the back so any real disaster on tour and wouldn't continuing be a bit hard?

My cantilever brakes wore out my rear rim after only 3000 miles. The guy who fixed it said he'd seen the same happen to so many tourers that he was now convinced that disc brakes were a good idea for touring bikes.

vsmith1

I've got a reserved (hands-off!) 2011 Sutra, and I'm just waiting for my Cyclescheme voucher to come through then I'lll have my Sutra (mine all mine). I did consider the Surly Long Haul Trucker and the Dawes Horizon. But the thought of disk brakes, the limit of £1000 put paid to other ideas like a Galaxy, Salsa Vaya, etc. As a MTB rider who got disk brakes in the early days and have stayed with them ever since, they are a great thing. That was one thing that put me off the Surly. In my MTB experience carrying some spare brake pads for a disk are easy and they last much longer, don't wear out the rims. And even on an MTB when a spoke broke, the bike was still ridable. I doubt that I would do the same on a tourer.

vsmith1

I got my Sutra yesterday. To my surprise the front wheel does not have a QR but a allen key bolt. I also found that it had a Tortec front rack rather than the one usually supplied - I think the Tortec is better. So I am happy, of course the day after we have winds so strong that even going out for a walk will be difficult.

Now need to add some bits: bottle cages, new pedals, cycle computer, fitting a pump, lights, etc.

More tweaks: saddle height, saddle front & back; lube to drivetrain; frame protectors on rubbing points etc.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I got my Sutra yesterday. To my surprise the front wheel does not have a QR but a allen key bolt. I also found that it had a Tortec front rack rather than the one usually supplied - I think the Tortec is better. So I am happy, of course the day after we have winds so strong that even going out for a walk will be difficult.

Now need to add some bits: bottle cages, new pedals, cycle computer, fitting a pump, lights, etc.

More tweaks: saddle height, saddle front & back; lube to drivetrain; frame protectors on rubbing points etc.

If it's got a brand new chain on don't lube it. Whatever they put on at the factory is very effective and I was told just to run mine until it squeaked before lubing it myself. I think it lasted about 700km of touring before needing lubing.

Have fun!

OP
OP
G

gussington

Have now re-ordered my Sutra from a different (and very helpful) shop. After every other shop telling me that I couldn't get near one until April - these guys sorted out a sample on so I now know how fantastic it is - and that it fits me of course.

Shop is calle Micycle and is in Islington. Would happily recommend them to anyone who (like me) feels that other bike shops they have used are lacking a certain something!

Gotta wait for 1st week of April now before I get it, but already planning my first couple of tours!

Roadkill

Mine arrived today and I only managed a couple of miles after assembly

It made me smile, which is the first (and most important) test of a new bike... It's heavy (or solid) and this translates into a feeling of real momentum once you're up to speed.

Liking the brakes and the shifters paricularly the one for the front mech that is friction alone.... great the get back to changing by feel!

I wasn't too keen on the saddle so I fitted a Brooks B17 which feels better. The rest of it I'll keep as stock until I know better.

This takes my bike count to 6 but I have a feeling that this one will be used for more than just expeditions...

Top Bottom