Kona Sutra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gussington

How did you get one so early? Every single bike shop I have tried has said 1st week of April earliest!

Lovely bike - and I've asked a friend who works in a bike shop to get me a Brooks B17 too. Glad to hear that other bits work well - can't wait now!

Roadkill

I saw it on Ebay - seller said it was a US import.. I suspect that it was from a show

Did a 25 mile round trip to the shops today and I love it. I'm going to write my first thoughts and some pics on our blog tomorrow, will post a link.

If you're ever passing through South Perthshire you're welcome to take it for a ride.

OP
OP
G

gussington

Very kind offer - thank you. Will hopefully have mine 1st week April - but if I'm passing through South Perthshire in years to come I'll get you to tell me where to ride it there!

First 'decent' bike I've ever invested in this, so basically hoping it will be the go anywhere, do anything bullet proof bit of fun that I've been looking for!

vsmith1

If it's got a brand new chain on don't lube it. Whatever they put on at the factory is very effective and I was told just to run mine until it squeaked before lubing it myself. I think it lasted about 700km of touring before needing lubing.

Have fun!

Thanks for that piece of info about the lube. I have put on cycle computer but I am waiting for the speed sensor to arrive. Rear rack Cat Eye bracket put on.

snowy10

I think disc brakes are great for touring bikes because they last longer, they work better in the wet-mud, taking spare discs and replacing them is easy and if you buckle the wheel it does not rub on the rim. I got told by a frame builder that the head tube for a disc bike has to be longer and stronger because the braking point is lower down the wheel and it puts more pressure on the head tube. So, the frame has to be built for discs.

OP
OP
G

gussington

Wrote some first thoughts and added a few pics.

It's here if you're interested: http://www.bicycles.org.uk/blog

Lovely review - can't wait to get mine though so it did make me a bit jealous!

Thinking of putting a Brooks B17 special on mine. Can I ask why you went with the narrow? Just never bought a saddle before - and they are a hard thing to buy as you can't try them out! Any advice would be useful.

Roadkill

Thanks for the kind words.

I went with the narrow because it was cheap.... not a very good reason but luckily it is perfect.

I have a Fizik Arione which is also great and the B17 narrow is still wider.

Racked up another 100 miles since the review and I like it more and more.

OP
OP
G

gussington

Still waiting for my bloody Cyclescheme voucher to arrive - thena bit of a wait until the bike is in stock!

Really looking forward to gettign it now and determined to do some more serious miles this year!

aabradys

I'm waiting on my voucher and I've got a 2010 sutra put aside so as soon as the voucher arrives the bike is there for me!! Looking forward to getting my new bike.

Ajay

Veteran
Hi, I'm going to order a Sutra, but I'm not 100% about whether to go for 59 or 61cm. As nobody has any stock I've not been able to test. I'm just under 6'2" and my road bike is a 58 with seat pin not far from max. So I'm erring toward the 61cm, with the sloping top tube I was told to go up a size.
Does anyone have any feedback on the larger sizes for reach / adjustment etc?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Hi, I'm going to order a Sutra, but I'm not 100% about whether to go for 59 or 61cm. As nobody has any stock I've not been able to test. I'm just under 6'2" and my road bike is a 58 with seat pin not far from max. So I'm erring toward the 61cm, with the sloping top tube I was told to go up a size.
Does anyone have any feedback on the larger sizes for reach / adjustment etc?

I'm also a 58cm road bike size, and I fitted the 60cm 2010 Sutra.

The Kona is a more compact frame than regular tourers (say Galaxy). Lovely bike, but due to other factors I didn't buy it in the end.

cnb

Veteran
regarding the size of bike required. I logged into the kona site and read the advice given to other prospective buyers... PS I normally ride a 52 road bike and ended up with a 54cm sutra..lovely bike just a little weighty...

Top Bottom